NSA "A" Nationals Chattanooga, TN

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Anyone else going?

Mattoon Pride 10U, 12U, 14U, 16U and 18U from Illinois.

It will be my third time going to Chattanooga for NSA. Really like the City!

Any good local BBQ places or local breweries?

May 14, 2010
We went last year. Really enjoyed the aquarium. Disliked the diamonds. No safety base anywhere in sight. Had 2 pretty good collisions as a result.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
We'll be there Prideguy. I'll have to dig up the research I did and get it to you. 4 recommended brew pub/eateries minimum. Then Mellow Mushroom pizza place, supposed to have really good pizza and 40 beers on tap. Definitely on my personal to do list.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Make sure you try the old southern favorite, "Moon Pie". It was founded in 1917 in Chattanooga. It is a marshmallow-filled sandwich, and even better if you can nuke it for 20-30 seconds. Of course you have to have an RC (Royal Crown) cola if you can find them anymore. Back in the old days, those two together were really great treats for young and old.

moonpie.jpg
img_4006.jpg

Dec 25, 2008
We'll be there Prideguy. I'll have to dig up the research I did and get it to you. 4 recommended brew pub/eateries minimum. Then Mellow Mushroom pizza place, supposed to have really good pizza and 40 beers on tap. Definitely on my personal to do list.

Bishop, I'll be there for 16U ASA in a couple of weeks. I would love to see any research or recommendations too. Or anyone else from the area or who has been there. I appreciate any and all recommendations.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Public appeal wins. Consolidation of the info I got from non-softball forums (yeah they exist, wierd).

the terminal is really good, I have been to McHales in Hixson, the one Jefe is probably talking about, and I will say I was not impressed with their beer (everything had the same burned flavor, I hope it was a bad series of batches and would try them again if I ever go back) but their food is fantastic, Moccasin Bend Brewery is an interesting place, very hard to find sense the entrance is around back on an unmarked building (at least it was fairly unmarked last time I went) pretty good beer too, Chattanooga Brewing Company is very friendly and has good beer (Last time I went they had a Pale ale, IPA, Imperial Pilsner, and kolsch. They had a scotch ale, I think that's what it was, fermenting last time I was in so that will probably be on tap when you're in town.

Websites for everywhere I talked about:

Moccasin Bend Brewing Company
Chattanooga Brewing
The Terminal Brewhouse
mchalesbrewhouse.com

I have not been to big river so I cant speak for them.

My favorites (based solely on beer) in order.

1. McHales - Good beers (Apollo Pale Ale was voted best APA in Chattanooga - the stout is also well done and he rotates in new styles on the regular). They also cater to the local homebrew club each month which makes me a bit biased and the brewmaster is a HBT member and all around good guy (Budzu).

The cons: It's a smoking establishment, food is below average IMO (standard bar food - chicken fingers, etc) but not bad. They must have some deal with a karaoke / Guitar Hero company as there is always a shifty looking fellow queuing up his fav Guitar Hero songs...

2. Big River Grille - Solid brew line up and the only one in town making both lagers and ales. Seven States Pils FTW. Great food at moderate prices, upscale atmosphere - smoke free etc.

3. Terminal Brewhouse - Best food of the bunch IMO (most original / local anyway) and the beers are OK IMO. The Terminally Pale Ale is probably the best of them, but when they try to make a hop forward beer (IPA, India Brown, etc) they have yet to hit the mark, like they are forced to rush beers out early...

4. Chattanooga Brewing Company: nice guy, but the beers I've tried thus far have yet to impress. I tried the IPA and Imperial Pils back when he was 1st starting out (may have improved since) and then tried what I'm guessing was a pepper beer he made for a local Mexican food place and couldn't finish it. YMMV.

5. Moccasin Bend Brewing: They recently won an ward for best wheat beer in Chattanooga. The owner fancies himself a performance artist of brewing or something along those lines and kind of tries to play the Dogfish role (different fruit, spice, flavored brews) , but most of them just aren't for me.

I was just in Chattanooga. Won't add anything to the suggestions above, but will add that a trip to the Mellow Mushroom would not suck. Some of the best pizza I've ever had and about 40 - 50 beers on tap with many of the local/regional options available. I'll be going back there again when I make it back down.

Mellow Mushroom is definitly on the hit list. Pizza for the kids and frosty beverages for the adults. Win/Win. I suppose I'll eat some pizza too.
Mellow Mushroom Pizza

Another note, the Big River Grill is by the Aquarium. It was recommended that if we get a break during the tournament the aquarium is a cool place (in both meanings of the word) to spend some down time. If we get an afternoon free I want to hit the aquarium and try for a meal at Big River.

I hope that was helpful.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Public appeal wins. Consolidation of the info I got from non-softball forums (yeah they exist, wierd).

the terminal is really good, I have been to McHales in Hixson, the one Jefe is probably talking about, and I will say I was not impressed with their beer (everything had the same burned flavor, I hope it was a bad series of batches and would try them again if I ever go back) but their food is fantastic, Moccasin Bend Brewery is an interesting place, very hard to find sense the entrance is around back on an unmarked building (at least it was fairly unmarked last time I went) pretty good beer too, Chattanooga Brewing Company is very friendly and has good beer (Last time I went they had a Pale ale, IPA, Imperial Pilsner, and kolsch. They had a scotch ale, I think that's what it was, fermenting last time I was in so that will probably be on tap when you're in town.

Websites for everywhere I talked about:

Moccasin Bend Brewing Company
Chattanooga Brewing
The Terminal Brewhouse
mchalesbrewhouse.com

I have not been to big river so I cant speak for them.

My favorites (based solely on beer) in order.

1. McHales - Good beers (Apollo Pale Ale was voted best APA in Chattanooga - the stout is also well done and he rotates in new styles on the regular). They also cater to the local homebrew club each month which makes me a bit biased and the brewmaster is a HBT member and all around good guy (Budzu).

The cons: It's a smoking establishment, food is below average IMO (standard bar food - chicken fingers, etc) but not bad. They must have some deal with a karaoke / Guitar Hero company as there is always a shifty looking fellow queuing up his fav Guitar Hero songs...

2. Big River Grille - Solid brew line up and the only one in town making both lagers and ales. Seven States Pils FTW. Great food at moderate prices, upscale atmosphere - smoke free etc.

3. Terminal Brewhouse - Best food of the bunch IMO (most original / local anyway) and the beers are OK IMO. The Terminally Pale Ale is probably the best of them, but when they try to make a hop forward beer (IPA, India Brown, etc) they have yet to hit the mark, like they are forced to rush beers out early...

4. Chattanooga Brewing Company: nice guy, but the beers I've tried thus far have yet to impress. I tried the IPA and Imperial Pils back when he was 1st starting out (may have improved since) and then tried what I'm guessing was a pepper beer he made for a local Mexican food place and couldn't finish it. YMMV.

5. Moccasin Bend Brewing: They recently won an ward for best wheat beer in Chattanooga. The owner fancies himself a performance artist of brewing or something along those lines and kind of tries to play the Dogfish role (different fruit, spice, flavored brews) , but most of them just aren't for me.

I was just in Chattanooga. Won't add anything to the suggestions above, but will add that a trip to the Mellow Mushroom would not suck. Some of the best pizza I've ever had and about 40 - 50 beers on tap with many of the local/regional options available. I'll be going back there again when I make it back down.

Mellow Mushroom is definitly on the hit list. Pizza for the kids and frosty beverages for the adults. Win/Win. I suppose I'll eat some pizza too.
Mellow Mushroom Pizza

Another note, the Big River Grill is by the Aquarium. It was recommended that if we get a break during the tournament the aquarium is a cool place (in both meanings of the word) to spend some down time. If we get an afternoon free I want to hit the aquarium and try for a meal at Big River.

I hope that was helpful.

Excellent Bishop!!!! Does your kid need a place to play next year? JK. I would take you as a parent, hands down!!! ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl