No more tears!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Since she started playing a year ago, my 9yo DD has never dealt with strikeouts very well. She expects a lot of herself, and when she fails, she falls into an emotional hole that takes a long time to crawl out of, and usually includes tears and anger. In last night's game, each of her 3 ABs resulted in Ks, but she hustled back to the dugout, stayed focused on the game, and kept a good attitude. This is a big turning point in her development.

Part of the equation (IMO) is that she is finally grasping how big her responsibility is as the catcher, and how focused she needs to be to perform well. Last night was also her best performance behind the plate - by far.

She heard loud and clear from my DW and I how proud we are of her.

Mar 28, 2013
Congats that's huge. I remember when my older DDs team came straight out of rec league 1st year 12 u and played TB against A level teams. One Time the entire infield was crying all at once. Still laugh thinking about it. Your not out of the woods though, next time she wants that new I Phone she still has the tears weapon and I bet she is not afraid to use it.:)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Eric, let me know her secret. I still cry every time DD strikes out. After years of therapy, I have stopped hyperventilating, and the tears usually stop by her next at bat. So I am getting better. :)

Seriously, some kids have strong emotions.........time, age, and experience usually smooth them out. My youngest nephew use to fall apart if he got shelled while pitching, to the point of embarrassment. About 13 something clicked, after that you couldn't rattle him by driving a tank on the field. He's in his freshman year pitching D1, and is already their #1 go to closer. For females I believe the emotional growth happens earlier.

Keep that positive reinforcement from mom and yourself, it's very important.