Nikon P90

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 9, 2015
Not tech savvy, have an old Nikon P90 and was planning on using this to video high school softball games and also to create skills video. I was able to download the manual but is overwhelming to say the least.

Anybody have experience using this camera or similar camera? Looking for optimal settings (resolution, mode, lighting, night settings, etc) to get some good video clips. I have been trying different settings but doesn't look good, get a lot of "grainy" video, sometimes too dark, etc.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I don't have this camera, but am a former professional photographer (meaning, I got paid; along with the other 300 photographers in a 5 mile radius...I kept my day job). The key to getting good images or video is to get the shutter speed as high as possible while keeping the ISO down. The other key is making sure you have great lighting; and there is no better lighting than the sun. I suggest shooting in aperture priority, and set the aperture to the smallest number that the camera will allow. This will bump up the shutter speed to the maximum speed for the conditions. Lastly, I would set the ISO speed to 400. 400 will get you high shutter speeds, while keeping the grain down. The higher the ISO, the more light (and higher shutter speed), but more grain. It is a balance.

Mar 9, 2015
I don't have this camera, but am a former professional photographer (meaning, I got paid; along with the other 300 photographers in a 5 mile radius...I kept my day job). The key to getting good images or video is to get the shutter speed as high as possible while keeping the ISO down. The other key is making sure you have great lighting; and there is no better lighting than the sun. I suggest shooting in aperture priority, and set the aperture to the smallest number that the camera will allow. This will bump up the shutter speed to the maximum speed for the conditions. Lastly, I would set the ISO speed to 400. 400 will get you high shutter speeds, while keeping the grain down. The higher the ISO, the more light (and higher shutter speed), but more grain. It is a balance.

Thanks for the info. Will try it out later this week. I also have the GoPro / Lynkspyder setup as well. My plan is to have the GoPro behind the backstop and then I can float around with the P90 to get some other angles!

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
You have to go out a literally play with the camera. Like Josh said, knowing the lighting and is crucial. Recently I took some night shots of with my GoPro Hero 4. Did ok with the settings. It was fun .

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Thanks for the info. Will try it out later this week. I also have the GoPro / Lynkspyder setup as well. My plan is to have the GoPro behind the backstop and then I can float around with the P90 to get some other angles!

I do the same thing. I have a Nikon D750 with a 70-200 VR lens that I bounce around the field with. But on a whim (sort of) I just ordered a Sony DSCHX90V/B. It's sort of a high end point and shoot that I am going to try to add as a secondary camera for side angle video. But if it works as good as I am thinking, I might just use it for "lazy man action shots"....that big Nikon like carrying a bucket of sand:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VWJOK7M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Mar 9, 2015
I do the same thing. I have a Nikon D750 with a 70-200 VR lens that I bounce around the field with. But on a whim (sort of) I just ordered a Sony DSCHX90V/B. It's sort of a high end point and shoot that I am going to try to add as a secondary camera for side angle video. But if it works as good as I am thinking, I might just use it for "lazy man action shots"....that big Nikon like carrying a bucket of sand:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VWJOK7M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Looks like a sharp camera may have to upgrade this Christmas! Agree the Nikon is a handful but planning on using a tripod so that will make it easier using a strap to carry around my neck!

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Just as a follow up: We got out last night and did some testing with this little camera (Sony DSCHX90V mentioned above). Not ready to recommend it yet, but very impressed at this point. The zoom is actually quite incredible. I might actually get my center field to home view that I've always wanted to add.

12109927_1761193340770445_6550792633899030186_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13