New 10U team - talk me off the ledge

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
I am coaching a newly formed 10U team this spring (11 girls and all but 2 are 9). We have 5 girls that are “pitchers”. One is 10 and has a year of travel experience, but she is making the switch from HE to IR and that has come with some challenges. Three of the other girls are 9 and are receiving instruction from a Tincher coach. I have have learned a lot on this forum to also help instruct some minor things. In short, I feel like we are doing everything we can do as a team to be successful in the circle.

So here’s my issue. We aren’t throwing a lot (understatement) of strikes in practices this preseason and I’m getting worried we might never get it across the plate...which would be a shame because we are actually pretty good defensively for the age group. Someone please talk me off the ledge and tell me it’s going to be ok...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hahaa off the ledge...

How much are they throwing on their own?
Video might help the pitching guru's.

Uhmmm
Make them be catchers for eachother?
Ya 'know to get some perspective on the situation
;)

Oct 26, 2019
That’s funny @RADcatcher about the catching for each other suggestion. I coached high school baseball for 15 years and one year I had a group of pitchers who were pretty hard on their catchers in bullpens...bouncing fastballs, spiking curveballs, and not letting the catcher know when they were throwing off speed. I made them catch each other for a few weeks and it gave them a whole new perspective. After that, they apologized for every pitch that bounced!

Oct 26, 2019
Thanks Sluggers! On a more serious note, for those of you who have worked with new/young pitchers - how long did it take for it to click with them? When did they start to figure it out?

Mar 28, 2014
Took my DD about 2 months to really dial in when she started pitching and that was with us practicing 3-4 times a week. Practice less and it will take longer. Super athlete will cut that time. Terrible athlete may never get there. So many variables involved. Impossible to say how long it will take. Your mileage may vary.

Don't jump.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
That’s funny @RADcatcher about the catching for each other suggestion. I coached high school baseball for 15 years and one year I had a group of pitchers who were pretty hard on their catchers in bullpens...bouncing fastballs, spiking curveballs, and not letting the catcher know when they were throwing off speed. I made them catch each other for a few weeks and it gave them a whole new perspective. After that, they apologized for every pitch that bounced!
I love it. And you don't have any HE pitchers. You might be pretty good next year!

Oct 26, 2019
Thanks @Rolling Hard and @texasheat I am trying to keep the bigger picture in mind. That it is a marathon and not a sprint and that there are far more important things the game will teach the girls. After coaching teenage boys for so long I must say I am really enjoying coaching softball at this level. It’s been a re-energizing change for me.

Apr 28, 2019
I am coaching a newly formed 10U team this spring (11 girls and all but 2 are 9). We have 5 girls that are “pitchers”. One is 10 and has a year of travel experience, but she is making the switch from HE to IR and that has come with some challenges. Three of the other girls are 9 and are receiving instruction from a Tincher coach. I have have learned a lot on this forum to also help instruct some minor things. In short, I feel like we are doing everything we can do as a team to be successful in the circle.

So here’s my issue. We aren’t throwing a lot (understatement) of strikes in practices this preseason and I’m getting worried we might never get it across the plate...which would be a shame because we are actually pretty good defensively for the age group. Someone please talk me off the ledge and tell me it’s going to be ok...
At 10U inconsistency is the norm especially pitching. The windmill technique is hard and takes a lot of practice to be consistently good.
You will have games where you question everything your doing and games where the girls impress you and give you hope.
All you can do is suggest the girls work on their own away from the team and work them the best you can during team practices.
It will take time but you will see the progress and you will be proud of them and yourself.
Believe in the process and absorb all the softball knowledge you can so you can pass it on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad