NCAA STATS on pitchers injuries?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Just curious over a period of 4 years , are records compiled as to injuries on arms , shoulders, etc on pitchers from throwing a 40 game or better schedule?

If so, to what degree or what is the ultimate cause if there is one?

I do not know the whole story but i just heard that C THOMAS of MO, had "heat treatment on her arm due to tiredness?

What happened to ice?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Ice discouraging fluid flow in the iced area to keep away swelling. Heat encourages fluid flow in the area to promote healing. Which you use depends on what you are trying to accomplish by icing or heating

May 7, 2008
Tucson
We used to alternate ice, then heat. It has been my experience that these things come around and change about every 20 years.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Doctor of Chiropractic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia D.C

You don't see it much in softball, but baseball pitchers ice down a lot.

Maybe there is something to be learned from that if arm problems persist in NCAA softball pitchers?

chinamigarden

Ice discouraging fluid flow in the iced area to keep away swelling. Heat encourages fluid flow in the area to promote healing.????????? Which you use depends on what you are trying to accomplish by icing or heating

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Lots of pitchers ice after every game. It's been talked about on this board how , especially younger, pitchers recover more quickly when they ice after a game. you only ice when you are done for the day though. If you re in a tournament, you don't ice until after your last game of the day. Bill Hillhouse has noted that he thinks something is wrong if a 12 YO needs to ice after every game.

DD (13) likes to ice after games but I don't know that she needs to. On sunday she pitched in 3 games and didn't ice Sunday night and Monday she was whining about being sore and didn't want to throw after supper. Somehow the one time when she actually needed it no one thought of it.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Lots of pitchers ice after every game. It's been talked about on this board how , especially younger, pitchers recover more quickly when they ice after a game. you only ice when you are done for the day though. If you re in a tournament, you don't ice until after your last game of the day. Bill Hillhouse has noted that he thinks something is wrong if a 12 YO needs to ice after every game.

DD (13) likes to ice after games but I don't know that she needs to. On sunday she pitched in 3 games and didn't ice Sunday night and Monday she was whining about being sore and didn't want to throw after supper. Somehow the one time when she actually needed it no one thought of it.

I purchased a sling and packs for my GD when she was a jr in HS, she used it every night after games were finished and also for one of my GSN'S, he used it all the time after pitching a game when done.

"No sense throwing on a sore arm"

I know of one girl in our conference 3 years ago that her dad burnt her up, he did not like what she was doing and prior to her next game, made her throw a full side session, then a game following, for what ever reason, she was done, could not throw her sr yr in hs, was the dominant pitcher in the conf, and was in state the prior year.

What they did on ice or heat i do not know, but it leaves you wondering.

Those who don't know can really mess things up

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Please also show me some stats where it shows any fastpitch pitchers were injured or held back by NOT icing.....Do tennis players ice? How about golfers? I really would like to know.

Be interesting to know how many golfers throw the ball, it could be pretty obvious the strain tennis players put on their shoulders.

There is a freshman, here now that is being held back , innings thrown, and shoulder problems, be interesting to know her out come, is she icing or heating i do not know, hope she has proper care for her sake. Varsity all year

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl