Motivation: Negative and Positive Forces

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
Some players who get mad because of a loss or even getting hit by a pitch, play better.

Others are motivated by being benched, yelled at, etc. (although I don't buy this one) or rating themselves against others.

Others just want to be the best they can be and don't even look at others.

From my standpoint, I rarely looked at others, no matter what sport I was in (because I was small, and no one thought I could do anything).

But I just knew I could do it and worked to do it. I played so many sports when young, I felt I could do anything. I would watch a game or two and say let's go.

Even when I failed (soccer), I still never analyzed the others (I just did my own conditioning/drills with friends (boys actually so I would get faster) to get better.

I did not care how it looked or whether it was ugly, I just wanted to win. I wanted to be standing there when everyone else wilted. I lifted weights AFTER college softball games to get stronger. But not because anyone made me or I saw them doing it. I actually got the trainers and players more into it.

What motivating factors do you see working today? Because this is a big deal even for Candrea.

I wanted to say that the social aspect of team is more important today--in my day we lived closer to each other and had it at school, church, etc. Social forces are big motivators

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06