more video to analyze

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 29, 2008
I don't think people give enough credit to how even a small change to barrel path will help big time. It doesn't have to be perfect to see improvements in hitting the ball.

Kids with swings resembling the above frequently walk into the hitting academy (softball, only) where I instruct. Although if I read correctly, and this is a HS freshman, that is a little older than typical (typical being 11-12), and IMO, for her, there is absolutely no time to waste. Still fixable, for sure, but it is time to get going.

There undoubtably are a lot of things that can be focused on to gain incremental improvement in a young female hitter. What to focus upon first is an interesting discussion, for sure.

The typical young player who walks into the academy has poor posture. She is not loading effectually. Rotation is very weak, and there is a connection problem. Absolutely the norm for young, inexperienced players.

And I would term the girl above a typical young player.

After a LOT of experimentation, we now always start with posture, the load, and then get the kid rotating forcefully. Typically takes 3-4 sessions, though sometimes it is only one, and occasionally takes as many as 10-15. I remember once it took six months of weekly sessions. And a couple of times it never "took." The later is rare, though. Almost without exception, after a few sessions, the girls are able to gain a significant improvement in posture, load, swing plane (related to posture), bat speed, and quickness.

Then we look at which connection problem REMAINS, and work to fix it. The reason we have found this particular sequence to be effective is that the connection "problems" after improving posture, load, and rotation are almost always different than the connection problems she came in with. Which has had serious implications for starting with the connection problems as a "first fix."

Once the above is on solid footing and incremental improvement is ongoing, we begin to work on sequencing, rhythm, and tempo. Starting to make the swing one continuous ballistic movement - a loading portion, followed by an unloading portion (with some overlap).

This is a sequence for improving and an approach that I know works. As I said, there may well be other approaches, but I'll stand with this one.

I also recognize that not all kids want the same thing of softball - namely to play in college. As Mark said, that is fine and appropriate. But it sounds as if her desire is to play in HS a little bit? As her swing is currently constituted, I think she may be challenged there. (I've been wrong before, and intangibles count for a LOT.) And I don't know what the competitive landscape looks like in her region of the country (I don't even know where that is). All that said, I am familiar with Northern California, and know what to expect there.

I would reiterate, there is still time here, but the clock is ticking.

Finally, I would add this: I have many times begun to work with a hitter who "doesn't want to play in collge." Sometimes, that remains true even after the gil improves significantly. Often, however, the possibility of being ABLE to play in college makes it considerably more "attractive."

Regards,

Scott

R

RayR

Kids with swings resembling the above frequently walk into the hitting academy (softball, only) where I instruct. Although if I read correctly, and this is a HS freshman, that is a little older than typical (typical being 11-12), and IMO, for her, there is absolutely no time to waste. Still fixable, for sure, but it is time to get going.

There undoubtably are a lot of things that can be focused on to gain incremental improvement in a young female hitter. What to focus upon first is an interesting discussion, for sure.

The typical young player who walks into the academy has poor posture. She is not loading effectually. Rotation is very weak, and there is a connection problem. Absolutely the norm for young, inexperienced players.

And I would term the girl above a typical young player.

After a LOT of experimentation, we now always start with posture, the load, and then get the kid rotating forcefully. Typically takes 3-4 sessions, though sometimes it is only one, and occasionally takes as many as 10-15. I remember once it took six months of weekly sessions. And a couple of times it never "took." The later is rare, though. Almost without exception, after a few sessions, the girls are able to gain a significant improvement in posture, load, swing plane (related to posture), bat speed, and quickness.

Then we look at which connection problem REMAINS, and work to fix it. The reason we have found this particular sequence to be effective is that the connection "problems" after improving posture, load, and rotation are almost always different than the connection problems she came in with. Which has had serious implications for starting with the connection problems as a "first fix."

Once the above is on solid footing and incremental improvement is ongoing, we begin to work on sequencing, rhythm, and tempo. Starting to make the swing one continuous ballistic movement - a loading portion, followed by an unloading portion (with some overlap).

This is a sequence for improving and an approach that I know works. As I said, there may well be other approaches, but I'll stand with this one.

I also recognize that not all kids want the same thing of softball - namely to play in college. As Mark said, that is fine and appropriate. But it sounds as if her desire is to play in HS a little bit? As her swing is currently constituted, I think she may be challenged there. (I've been wrong before, and intangibles count for a LOT.) And I don't know what the competitive landscape looks like in her region of the country (I don't even know where that is). All that said, I am familiar with Northern California, and know what to expect there.

I would reiterate, there is still time here, but the clock is ticking.

Finally, I would add this: I have many times begun to work with a hitter who "doesn't want to play in collge." Sometimes, that remains true even after the gil improves significantly. Often, however, the possibility of being ABLE to play in college makes it considerably more "attractive."

Regards,

Scott

Scott, thanks for the thoughts. I am a HS coach primarily and don't get 6 months with them. We are limited to in season instruction. Not making excuses just explaining why I choose the method I do. The last hitter posted has had on going instruction from a hitting academy through her travel program. This is what it produced. Of course, it gets even more complicated as I have tried to do overhauls on my HS players, but when they are seeing private instruction as well as play travel - I am considered the know nothing idiot HS coach. Parents tell their kids to be polite and keep doing what the PC says. So, I choose to attack the barrel path as it doesn't seem to bother anyone and I know it will lead to improved performance.

I don't mind defending my position or reasons for what I do. I wish I worked with players independently, but lack of a facility (crappy New England winters) and not agreeing with the stuff most academy's teach has kept me from working as an instructor.

Here is another player I coach. She has had a ton of private instruction and is a great kid and IMO is underachieving.

And a little story on her is that during a scrimmage last year I asked her to lower her hands so that they don't drop first and create and "L" type hand path. Hit 2 doubles and long fly out. Next game and rest of the year went back to this type of set up and didn't meet her, her Dad's or my expectations.

BP swing
HR.gif

Game swing from last fall
HR1.gif

May 12, 2008
I certainly can understand the limitations and frustrations you describe as a hs coach. When they won't listen, your hands are substantially tied. A couple of thoughts. One is, develop the ability to produce side by side synced video of whatever elite hitter they think is wonderful and you think is a reasonable match for them. Show it to them and ask them what they see. Ask leading questions if you have to. Very sincerely and circumspectly of course. After they decide what THEY want to change, then you can work from there. Second idea is, you can only work on softball in season. What could you do if there were no bat or ball in sight in terms of working on rotational and strength deficits? After all, a lot of this stuff we see elite hitters doing is just not possible with the level of fitness some of these players have. Without a bat and ball around, I would hope you could work on teaching them to move better even if the off season. Best wishes and Kudos for doing your best in difficult circumstances.

Oct 29, 2008
Scott, thanks for the thoughts. I am a HS coach primarily and don't get 6 months with them. We are limited to in season instruction.

I'm running to church, but will absolutely look at the swings later.

I COMPELETLY agree that it is next to impossible to work consistently on mechanics as a HS coach. Clearly, the desire HAS to be to get the player ready for TUESDAY. I've been there, I know. That is WAY different than the approach that an instructor at an academy can (and should) take. MUCH more long term. Completely valid point.

And Club ball is somewhere in the middle, probably.

The 6 month winter certainly adds to the challenge as well. I am sympathetic.

More later,

Best,

Scott

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Well, we worked on the tee, starting from an athletic position & barrell path tonight. We definitely saw a change in Barrell path. some swings were better than others & some were poor & some were choppy, but on the bright side, a few ( maybe a third) actually showed some good improvement.We tried setting the ladder behind her- i think that helped.

One thing I noticed was that the bat drag & bat path improved considerably when I set the tee up for an outside pitch (hitting the ball over the plate) as compared to an inside pitch( hitting well in front of the plate) where she has the opportunity to get a long swing at the ball.

I have a notion that all improvements will go down the tiolet when she sees live pitching or front toss, so I intend to continue on the tee hitting right over the plate & hope to develop some muscle memory. Maybe upload another video later in the week. Thanks to all

Attachments

• bicep tendon.jpg
    bicep tendon.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 6
May 12, 2008
Well, we worked on the tee, starting from an athletic position & barrell path tonight. We definitely saw a change in Barrell path. some swings were better than others & some were poor & some were choppy, but on the bright side, a few ( maybe a third) actually showed some good improvement.We tried setting the ladder behind her- i think that helped.
That's great to hear. :)

One thing I noticed was that the bat drag & bat path improved considerably when I set the tee up for an outside pitch (hitting the ball over the plate) as compared to an inside pitch( hitting well in front of the plate) where she has the opportunity to get a long swing at the ball.

Give the body extra room and it will fill it with stupid stuff. :) Try not to give her extra room. Set that inside pitch about even with her front foot or ever tighter.

I have a notion that all improvements will go down the tiolet when she sees live pitching or front toss, so I intend to continue on the tee hitting right over the plate & hope to develop some muscle memory.

Yes it probably will. Learning something in dry swings is not the same as the tee is not the same as...well you get the idea. Work your way up to using the better mechanics in games a step at a time if you have to. Let the goal NOT be contact but rather a good swing when she takes bp or game swings.

Maybe upload another video later in the week. Thanks to all

I look forward to it. I'm sure we all do.

R

RayR

I have a notion that all improvements will go down the tiolet when she sees live pitching or front toss, so I intend to continue on the tee hitting right over the plate & hope to develop some muscle memory. Maybe upload another video later in the week. Thanks to all

Hey JC - good to hear. Sorry about the hijack, but I was trying to make a point.

Since you didn't post clips this time this might not apply, but make sure as she trying to keep the bat head up to keep some length in the front arm. A good rule of thumb is keeping the front elbow behind the belly button without counter rotating. You will get some choppy swings if there is too much bend in the front arm.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Hey JC: The latest clips of your DD do show an improvement. Specifically, the gap between her top arm forearm and bicep has tightened up some as she launches her swing. The next step is to add in shoulder lateral tilt and rotation. Very hard to explain in words.

Basically, in the high level swing the shoulders lateral tilt and rotate simultaneously. So...as she arcs her bat backward like she is now starting to do, she needs to tilt and rotate her shoulders at the same time. It's all one seemless move.

Lateral tilt: When in your stance in the batters box, if you were to bend at your waist back toward the catcher, you would be laterally tilting.

If she begins shoulder rotation "as" she begins to laterally tilt, she will have combined the two moves into one. If she continues to start her bat backwards like she is now doing, she will have combine three separate moves into one seemless movement.

The best drill I've seen for teaching how the shoulders laterally tilt and rotate at the same time, is Epstein's "Torque" drill. If you don't have access to his material, the next best thing is to try and duplicate the correct shoulder action yourself, and then teach it to your DD.

I agree with others that eventually she needs to get into a more athletic posture while in her stance. For some reason many girls don't like to bend their knees. I have had the most success with the cue "sit" or "sink". Just telling them to bend their knees doesn't work.

Btw, this is a process. Take it one step at a time. It's usually baby steps in the beginning. Very tedious. Once she starts getting the basic movements down, the process speeds up.

Don't be afraid to lose the tee for a while and do dry swings. Also, it sometimes helps to do things in slow motion so they can feel the movements.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan