More obstruction/interference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
Here is another obstruction/interference question. This recently happened in a PA High School State Championship Quarterfinal game. There are 4 umpires officiating. Runners on 2nd and 3rd, one out. Shortstop is playing shallow in order to cut the runner off at home. Ball is hit past the pitcher towards the glove side of the shortstop. Roughly 6-8 feet from 2nd base. The shortstop takes a diagonal path to the ball. She has her glove arm extended. At that point there is a collision between the runner and the shortstop. The ball goes into center field. The runner from 3rd scores. The runner at second makes it to 3rd. Being that the shortstop is my daughter, I feel that she would have made the play on the ball, had she not been hindered by the runner. The coach of my daughter’s team also shared my opinion. The opposing coach argued that his runner’s forward progress was hindered by my daughter and should be awarded home. The 4 umpires met , than did nothing and let the play stand. There was an injury timeout after the collision to attend to my daughter. She had a bad headache and a loose tooth. During this timeout the 2 coaches argued their points. I still believe that something should have been called. Am I correct? Of course I do not look at it objectively. I think that my daughter makes that play and at the bare minimum throws the runner out at first or keeps the ball in the infield. Aren’t fielders protected from collisions if they are making a play on the ball? What do you think the correct call would be?

You are correct in that fielders are protected from collisions when making a play on the ball.

The problem is that the umpires ruled nothing, on a play where a collision between a runner and fielder resulted in the fielder needing attention. The only thing that makes sense is that the ump thought there was obstruction but without the obstruction the runner would still have only made it to third anyway. From your description it is hard to see how they could not rule either obstruction or interference. The fielder does not have a right to be in the base path if the play on the ball they are making is not really make-able, like lets say the ball is already by the fielder but they take a step towards the ball anyway making contact.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Here is another obstruction/interference question. This recently happened in a PA High School State Championship Quarterfinal game. There are 4 umpires officiating. Runners on 2nd and 3rd, one out. Shortstop is playing shallow in order to cut the runner off at home. Ball is hit past the pitcher towards the glove side of the shortstop. Roughly 6-8 feet from 2nd base. The shortstop takes a diagonal path to the ball. She has her glove arm extended. At that point there is a collision between the runner and the shortstop. The ball goes into center field. The runner from 3rd scores. The runner at second makes it to 3rd. Being that the shortstop is my daughter, I feel that she would have made the play on the ball, had she not been hindered by the runner. The coach of my daughter’s team also shared my opinion. The opposing coach argued that his runner’s forward progress was hindered by my daughter and should be awarded home. The 4 umpires met , than did nothing and let the play stand. There was an injury timeout after the collision to attend to my daughter. She had a bad headache and a loose tooth. During this timeout the 2 coaches argued their points. I still believe that something should have been called. Am I correct? Of course I do not look at it objectively. I think that my daughter makes that play and at the bare minimum throws the runner out at first or keeps the ball in the infield. Aren’t fielders protected from collisions if they are making a play on the ball? What do you think the correct call would be?

I'm having a difficult time envisioning a SS playing up collides with a R without running toward 2B. I'm assuming when you say "shallow" you are referring to on or inside the baseline.

But David is correct, it should have been INF or OBS. Just out of curiousity, did the pitcher touch the ball?

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
MTR, the pitcher did not touch the ball. When the pitch was thrown the shortstop was about a step in from the baseline. The ball was hit between her and 2nd base. She pivoted to get the ball on, what I would call a diagonal path. You could make the case that she ran into the runner’s path. As the other team’s coach argued. She was 1 step from reaching the ball. It was in that 1 step that there was the collision. It was either obstruction or interference. I felt that because the runner had a clear view of the ball’s path and the shortstop was concentrating on catching the ball that the runner was at fault. Either way something should have been called. Thanks for the input, guys.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
MTR, the pitcher did not touch the ball. When the pitch was thrown the shortstop was about a step in from the baseline. The ball was hit between her and 2nd base. She pivoted to get the ball on, what I would call a diagonal path. You could make the case that she ran into the runner’s path. As the other team’s coach argued. She was 1 step from reaching the ball. It was in that 1 step that there was the collision. It was either obstruction or interference. I felt that because the runner had a clear view of the ball’s path and the shortstop was concentrating on catching the ball that the runner was at fault. Either way something should have been called. Thanks for the input, guys.

Doesn't make any difference where the fielder was, it is the runner's responsibility to avoid interfering with the fielder. The reason I asked about the pitcher is because there is a different set of parameters on deflected batted balls.

So, assuming everything noted is accurate (not saying it isn't, just wasn't there to see it), this should have been INT if the umpire judged F6 had a play. Otherwise, I could only assume the umpire had an OBS call, but didn't make it because the runner reached 3B safely.

Doesn't make any difference where the fielder was, it is the runner's responsibility to avoid interfering with the fielder.

I'm not sure this is the case. My reasoning is (and I am not 100% sure of the answer) assume the SS is behind the baseline and there is a slow roller or little bouncer to her. She take a couple steps into the baseline, making contact with runner, the pitcher easily fields the slow moving ball now what? Was the SS making a play on the ball? I think is the 3B cuts off the SS instead of the pitcher it is a little easier call because the SS is probably only a step or two from making the play but if pitcher makes the play she is five or six steps away from the play. I guess I am trying to figure out at what point is she making a play and at what point is she just carelessly moving in the direction of the ball into the base path, I'm thinking this is ultimately an umpire judgement call just wondering if there is some kind of standard out there.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I'm not sure this is the case. My reasoning is (and I am not 100% sure of the answer) assume the SS is behind the baseline and there is a slow roller or little bouncer to her. She take a couple steps into the baseline, making contact with runner, the pitcher easily fields the slow moving ball now what? Was the SS making a play on the ball? I think is the 3B cuts off the SS instead of the pitcher it is a little easier call because the SS is probably only a step or two from making the play but if pitcher makes the play she is five or six steps away from the play. I guess I am trying to figure out at what point is she making a play and at what point is she just carelessly moving in the direction of the ball into the base path, I'm thinking this is ultimately an umpire judgement call just wondering if there is some kind of standard out there.

Okay, this is how things get screwed up. THE fielder attempting to field a batted ball ALWAYS has the right of way. Only one defender can be protected in fielding the batted ball. The play in which initiated this discussion makes no mention of another fielder being in position to make a play on the batted ball.

You can "what if" and TWP everything to death and all that does is cause confusion and misinformation.

May 16, 2010

When a batted ball is hit, the umpire must decide which fielder is to be protected. That fielder is then protected for the entire time that the ball is moving to her, and she is protected wherever she needs to move in order to field the ball. The runner must not interfere with the fielder attempting to field a batted ball. If the fielder is on the outfield side of the base line and moves into the line to field the ball, then the runner must do whatever is necessary to not interfere with the fielder. The runner must run outside the base line or path, if the fielder is in it or moves into it, in the act of fielding the ball.

When a batted ball is hit, the umpire must decide which fielder is to be protected. That fielder is then protected for the entire time that the ball is moving to her, and she is protected wherever she needs to move in order to field the ball. The runner must not interfere with the fielder attempting to field a batted ball. If the fielder is on the outfield side of the base line and moves into the line to field the ball, then the runner must do whatever is necessary to not interfere with the fielder. The runner must run outside the base line or path, if the fielder is in it or moves into it, in the act of fielding the ball.

MTR...I think we answered the original question well enough, if the SS is one step away from the ball and the runner contacts her it is it is interference.

Thanks jbooth for taking a stab at a better explanation; I guess what I am getting at is how does the umpire decide who is the protected fielder, could there be two protected fielders say on a pop fly with two girls running to get under the ball (assuming two outs and runner are moving) doesn't the runner have to avoid both of them? Again I think these are always judgement calls but just trying to get as much clarification as possible.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
MTR...I think we answered the original question well enough, if the SS is one step away from the ball and the runner contacts her it is it is interference.

Not if that is what you got out of it.

Thanks jbooth for taking a stab at a better explanation; I guess what I am getting at is how does the umpire decide who is the protected fielder, could there be two protected fielders say on a pop fly with two girls running to get under the ball (assuming two outs and runner are moving) doesn't the runner have to avoid both of them? Again I think these are always judgement calls but just trying to get as much clarification as possible.

As previously stated, only one fielder is provided protection and this is purely the judgment of the umpire, hopefully based upon which fielder was the most likely to have the opportunity to make a play on the ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414