Metal bat de bate on Fox News Sunday morning.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Anyone see the be bate between two attorneys on Fox News Sunday reference injuries by the use of metal bats?

One attorney took the side of an injured baseball player hit in the face saying that metal bats are dangerous due to the large sweet spot and high exit speeds of the ball coming off the bat.

The other attorney took the side of if you play baseball you accept the risk of injury.

The de bate came down to doing away with metal bats and only allowing wood bats in base ball. :confused:

Oct 19, 2009
Yes players have been hit in the face with balls coming from wood bats before, but not the numbers of incidents according to one of the attorneys.

I don't know the numbers myself.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Yes players have been hit in the face with balls coming from wood bats before, but not the numbers of incidents according to one of the attorneys.

I don't know the numbers myself.

I would think that an attorney would have to prove that a disproportionate number of players have been hit by balls from a metal vs. wooden bats. And if the bats are legal and sanctioned by the governing body of the sport then I am not sure they have a case. The could petition the sanctioning body to modify the approved bat list, but there is always going to be a risk of injury in sports.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Fighting to get 1990s technology off our ball fields.

I always thought that aluminum bats were design for durability and were not necessarily intended for performance enhancement vs. wooden bats. Composite bats obviously changed that, but I think baseball changed their performance specs a year or so ago and banned all bats without a current stamp which eliminated a lot of the "hot" composite bats.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I am sure that the tree huggers will love this one. Between global warming and deforestation baseball and softball will be deemed a clear threat to the existence of mankind and must be banned NOW! Or you can by a "bat offset" from Al. :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I always thought that aluminum bats were design for durability and were not necessarily intended for performance enhancement vs. wooden bats. Composite bats obviously changed that, but I think baseball changed their performance specs a year or so ago and banned all bats without a current stamp which eliminated a lot of the "hot" composite bats.

If aluminum bats did not give the batter a clear advantage you would see them in MLB. From what I have read, a ball hit in the exactly right spot on a wooden BB bat is not different then that hit on the sweet spot of an aluminum BB bat. But that perfect sweet spot is teeny tiny on a wood bat and quite large on a metal bat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom