Measureable Metrics for Softball Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2022
I'm looking for suggestions on measureable skills to implement for tryouts. Im familiar with home-to-first and home-to-home for measurable speed. Perhaps throwing speed from short to 1B as another one.

What are some other recs for quantifiable, measureable stats so that feedback can be provided and decisions about who makes the team are grounded in at least some form of statistics?

Sent from my SM-S906W using Tapatalk

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
I'm looking for suggestions on measureable skills to implement for tryouts. Im familiar with home-to-first and home-to-home for measurable speed. Perhaps throwing speed from short to 1B as another one.

What are some other recs for quantifiable, measureable stats so that feedback can be provided and decisions about who makes the team are grounded in at least some form of statistics?

Sent from my SM-S906W using Tapatalk
What age?
(Btw throwing speed alone does not measure how fast a defensive play is made. Throwing is one piece of a lot of skill sets)

Lot of assessment that can be done from what seems like a simple play.

Example outfield.
Get the players to set up in the same spot.
1 player per hit/ assessment.
Hit the ball to the same distance with the same trajectory as possible. 20 feet, next round, then 40 feet, then 60 feet like in deep gaps. This will differentiate who can actually get to the ball. Go left and go right.
( don't let them know which way you're hitting it, just hit it and let them react off the bat)

Can help identify~
There reaction Time.
How they manuever to get there. Clunky or smooth.
How they approach the ball. Angles.
What mechanic are they using retrieving the ball and transitioning into throw. Glove & transistion.
Look for, did they appropriately line themselves up for the direction/ trajectory of where they are throwing. Then of course throwing accuracy.

You can time the whole play.
This is where can see how throwing speed is only one part of it.

Possibly consider using a simple point system 0,1,2,3

You can either do accumulative score is good or accumulative score means bad.

Unless you are dealing with a very talented group, what I find is the players will categorize themselves. The good and bad become visually noticeable particularly when they have to do the same thing as each other.
*The assessing tool has to be the same to provide accurate comparison!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I have only seen one coach do this but I thought it was really telling. Line the players up at 1st and they run full speed towards 3rd across the diamond. Coach stands on edge of infield dirt behind 2nd with bucket of balls. Coach throws on a line (not much arc) to the running fielder. Can the player catch a ball in full sprint. Surprised how many have trouble doing so. It's a pretty good test of athleticism and coordination. Think SS covering 2nd without vacating their position early on a steal.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
So, you want the kid who throws the hardest, or the one with the best accuracy who throws hard enough?

Do you want the kid who runs the fastest, but is a mental case under a fly ball? Or, how about that kid who is a step slower, but has excellent judgement and a good first move?

How about the pitcher who has great velocity, but can't find the plate with directions and a GPS?

How about the kid who hits, throws, and runs well...really looks the part...but is a total jerk?

Metrics can help, but if you're centering your decisions on a stopwatch and a radar gun, or even your own eye of the best athlete, you're going to bring some onboard you wish you hadn't and some good players are going elsewhere.

Get some baselines, but focus more on playing situations where they have to demonstrate some decent technique and acceptable people skills. Find some coachable ball players.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I have only seen one coach do this but I thought it was really telling. Lines the players up at 1st and they run full speed towards 3rd across the diamond. Coach stands on edge of infield dirt behind 2nd with bucket of balls. Coach throws on a line (not much arc) to the running fielder. Can the player catch a ball in full sprint. Surprised how many have trouble doing so.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I haven't done this during a tryout, but I did it during practice.

Line up the players on either RF or LF line. Jugs machine pointed to the sky. Unlock the swivel. Start feeding the machine across the outfield leading them across the field until they hit the other line. Try to lead them enough where they are barely getting there to catch the ball. It was pretty fun and I think MOST of the girls liked. Something different and challenging....at least for the infielders it was challenging.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I haven't done this during a tryout, but I did it during practice.

Line up the players on either RF or LF line. Jugs machine pointed to the sky. Unlock the swivel. Start feeding the machine across the outfield leading them across the field until they hit the other line. Try to lead them enough where they are barely getting there to catch the ball. It was pretty fun and I think MOST of the girls liked. Something different and challenging....at least for the infielders it was challenging.
Done that. Super fun and got the cardio in at the same time!

May 17, 2012
Measure:

1. Swing Speed (there are various devices and/or apps for this)
2. Running Speed (whatever the distance, be consistent)
3. Pop times (catchers)
4. Fastest pitch (pitchers)
5. Throwing speed (all position players)

I know a Gold coach who takes the top 15 players in the above categories to determine her team at 16U every season. Doesn't care about ANYTHING else, what team you played for previously, who your hitting coach is, your intangibles, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atilbury