Little League All-Star Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
We are about to select the All-Star team for our Little League (9/10) and when all is said and done 7 of the girls will be from her travel team (2 leagues combining for one team).

We plan on practicing every week day but this will conflict with select practices which isn't a big deal except for the 5 travel girls not playing all-stars. Are we allowed to just do combined practices a couple of times a week? I know Little League has a bunch of rules guiding who can be at practice, etc. so I am guessing no if it is an official All Star practice...but maybe if it is a Travel practice then the remaining all-stars could be guests of the travel team and not have it be an all-star function.

Anyone know anything about All-Star practice rules?

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Back when our city was LL, I don't recall any rules regarding practice, except you cannot begin
before June 15th. I know it was prohibited that they be playing travel during the All-Star Tournament.
The all-stars in general was a great experience, the antiquated rules when compared to all other
sanctioning bodies............. strange at best

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
"Tournament team practice may only take place against other players in the same league, providing such practice is done out of uniform" (Page T-8)

So the way I read it, if those "5 travel girls" played LL rec, you're fine. If they didn't, you'd be in violation.

And as JV said, you can't start before June 15th ( or two weeks prior to when your district tournament starts..whichever comes first)

Oct 18, 2009
"Tournament team practice may only take place against other players in the same league, providing such practice is done out of uniform" (Page T-8)

So the way I read it, if those "5 travel girls" played LL rec, you're fine. If they didn't, you'd be in violation.

And as JV said, you can't start before June 15th ( or two weeks prior to when your district tournament starts..whichever comes first)

This is how I understand the rule... if those other girls are not in your league... they cannot practice with the team. On the other hand I guess there is nothing wrong with holding a travel ball practice and inviting the non-travel LL girls to practice that way. Depends on how you want to phrase it I guess.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Part of the reason LL does not allow practice before June 15 is that the LL insurance does not take effect until that date (though there is also the issue with regard to gaining an unfair advantage over other LLs if you are practicing much earlier). You should take into consideration that if your TB players came to your All-Star practice and were injured, they are not covered under the LL policy. If your All-Stars came to your TB practice and were injured, they may not be covered under your ASA/TB policy. It's not likely to happen, but should a serious injury occur, you could be held liable as the coach running the practice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG