Let a foul ball drop?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
So, on the UGA-Bama play last night ...

Runners on 2nd/3rd, one out. UGA leads 3-2. Bottom of the 6th. Third baseman catches a ball in foul territory over her shoulder, runner tags, scores tying run. Announcers call it a big mistake.

IMHO, you cannot decline to take an out there. If the runner scores (it's only the tying run), so be it. Mistake was letting the runner on second move up.

Granted, I think that was 2 strikes on the batter, so it increases the chances of a K, which would be the ideal result. But as a coach, I want my players taking the out in that situation.

What do you think?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I would drop the ball. We do that regularly since I can remember, it has been part of the game.

That was a terrible decision by the 3B to catch that ball. Gotta let that one drop every time.

I know it's part of the game, but I question whether that was the correct time to employ that strategy.

As a UGA fan, I wasn't bothered by it at all. I didn't consider a run for an out to be a bad trade at that moment. More of a wash. Runners on 2nd/3rd with 1 out is very dangerous w/ a 1-run lead late in the game. I'm already resigned to the idea that at least 1 run is going to score. Taking the out there reduces the chances of both runners scoring and surrendering the lead entering the 7th inning, which is usually fatal vs. a team like Alabama.

But I seem to be in the minority. So far. Would like someone to crunch the numbers. :)

Jan 24, 2011
I know it's part of the game, but I question whether that was the correct time to employ that strategy.

As a UGA fan, I wasn't bothered by it at all. I didn't consider a run for an out to be a bad trade at that moment. More of a wash. Runners on 2nd/3rd with 1 out is very dangerous w/ a 1-run lead late in the game. I'm already resigned to the idea that at least 1 run is going to score. Taking the out there reduces the chances of both runners scoring and surrendering the lead entering the 7th inning, which is usually fatal vs. a team like Alabama.

But I seem to be in the minority. So far. Would like someone to crunch the numbers. :)

I just don't believe in conceding my lead at that point. Trust my pitcher to make the pitches we need.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Offense today is up.

That's even more reason to take the out, IMO. If offense is up, why give Alabama two shots to drive in the go-ahead run from second? Why not reduce that number to one shot to take the lead?

I'm not arguing that it was the right decision, just that it was not a terrible decision. To me, that was a tough call. Hard to blame a player in the heat of the moment for that one. The worst thing she did was throw home and allow the runner to third.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I just don't believe in conceding my lead at that point. Trust my pitcher to make the pitches we need.

That's a good argument, and perhaps the more popular one. I think it's a tough one to make for a fielder. I wonder if the coach has a policy on it, whether it was discussed, or players are supposed to make that decision on the fly (no pun intended). Wilkinson was pitching well, but Alabama hits very well, too. I don't recall where they were in the batting order. That's another consideration. And my memory was that this would've been strike two, which puts it in the pitcher's favor.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Most of the time I'd trust the pitcher to get the out, let the ball drop.

Also you have to know what the batter has been doing all year, and that game against that pitcher. If the pitcher has had her way with the batter, for sure let it drop. If that batter is leading the conference in RBI and HR, maybe I'd say it wasn't a mistake.

Feb 3, 2011
foul territory over her shoulder
That's the key info here. Game awareness is key in sports and in that situation, the catch should ONLY be made if there's no way that runner will be able to tag and score. The way you describe it has me thinking that 3B's momentum is carrying her away from the plate.

As for late-game strategy, no, you don't allow the tying run to score. You do everything possible to prevent it and teams should be aware of this from the moment that batter enters the on-deck circle.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
You guys and others have persuaded me that the percentage play in this case was to let it drop.

However, I do believe that it's wrong to have a cut-and-dried rule about. It depends on the value of an out, which is dependent on the score but also the likelihood of players getting hits. The value of an out can vary wildly in a softball game.

Keep in mind that the player who got the 'sac fly' was Alabama's #2 overall hitter. Kaila Hunt has 57 career HR. She's #2 in school history in RBI. Jackie Traina is on deck and missed a HR by about 10 feet. I still say that's not a ''terrible'' decision to catch the ball, albeit probably the wrong decision.

Friend of mine pointed out that Alabama had only a couple of hits off Wilkinson to that point, and I believe there were two strikes, and those are the best arguments for letting it drop. So I conceded that point. But if you've got a hard rule against catching that ball no matter what, or NEVER give away the tying run, then it's a failure to consider all the possibilities, IMO. I'd say that in many travel ball games - where teams average about 5.5 runs per game - that you need to catch that particular ball and concede the run, especially if it's the #2 hitter on the opposing team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44