Kids and corporate sponsorships

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2009
Seems I've created a little bit of drama (again) and although I am fully confident in my decision, I just wanted to get some feedback from the forum.

Each year, league sponsors are able to have their company names printed on the jerseys of a team in the space above the number where the name usually goes. It's part of the sponsorship package and over the years, there have been a few instances of sponsor daddies wanting to make sure their kid wasn't on a team with another sponsor daddy.

For several reasons, this practice has never been my cup of tea. Last year, I sponsored the team on behalf of Momo's mom, which put her company name on the jerseys, but left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

So this year, I decided to sponsor the team myself and have the space left blank. The sponsor coordinator agreed to my request, but a couple of other board members (who shall remain nameless!) felt that a different sponsor should be given that ad space.

I informed the league that my team's parents had no problem with my position, and when given the option of having their own names or nicknames there instead of a sponsor name, my players unanimously voted for that.

I appreciate what the many sponsors do for the league, but for me, I think we should make a greater effort to make sure that the game is still all about the girls. It's just a little thing, but in my experience, it seems the girls prefer my style over the way it's always been done. When they go to high school and college or even on to the pros, there will be plenty of time for them to advertise for the equipment makers, but I don't think that needs to start when they're age 5.

I still think jersey space can be included, but the print should just be a lot smaller and placed elsewhere. What are some of your thoughts on the naming rights for kids' uniforms?

Sponsorships in youth athletics have been around forever. When I played Little League football in Texas in the late 70's early 80's I was on the Johnson and Johnson Giants and the McDonald's Chargers. The whole point of sponsorships is to help defray the costs of the sport. Maybe I am missing something, what is the issue?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
Sponsorships in youth athletics have been around forever. When I played Little League football in Texas in the late 70's early 80's I was on the Johnson and Johnson Giants and the McDonald's Chargers. The whole point of sponsorships is to help defray the costs of the sport. Maybe I am missing something, what is the issue?

I bought the space above the numbers on the jerseys for my team only and decided to give it to the kids. One of our board members got really upset about it, basically arguing I had no right to do that. Another board member thought our team's parents would feel their girls had been left out (of having a sponsor), even though we had a sponsor who just didn't care about name recognition. I presented that concern to the parents, but none agreed with the position of those 2 board members.

There are multiple layers to this and maybe I phrased my original post in a manner that confused the issue, but that's the gist. I did join the board after the fall season, and one of my areas of emphasis is fundraising. We're trying one of my proposals this spring which should be a hit with everyone. As for my own contributions, I feel reasonably sure that I'll still be supporting the league long after my own daughter goes on to whatever is next for her.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
There are multiple layers to this and maybe I phrased my original post in a manner that confused the issue, but that's the gist. I did join the board after the fall season, and one of my areas of emphasis is fundraising. We're trying one of my proposals this spring which should be a hit with everyone. As for my own contributions, I feel reasonably sure that I'll still be supporting the league long after my own daughter goes on to whatever is next for her.

No, it wasn't confusing. You are the sponsor and you selected to not place your name on the shirt. Not a problem with any intelligent human being.:cool:

May 8, 2009
Florida
The rec leagues in my area print the sponsors name on the front as the team name. I certainly dont see anything wrong with that - I dont believe the area businesses really look to get a return on their investment. Certainly is is your right not to put anything in that spot - but where is the girls team affiliation?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC