jennie finch vs baseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
Men pitch from 46 ft and women from 43 feet. However, rear I am told, the fastest men can pitch in the low 80's and fastest women in the low 70's. Less time to react with the 10+ more mph even when adding the extra 3 feet.

I dont believe it is harder or easier. Consider this: A baseball player is used to baseball pitching If he were given a while to practice against softball pitchers he would do just fine. As far as the riseball goes I dont buy it acuallt riseing. I have had it proven to me that it is an optical illusion but an efective one.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
One of the best and past his better days we faced Eddie Feigner, that said there were many other winders that drove us nuts. I really had no preference a good baseball pitcher or a good fast pitch chucker they were both challenging if you faced the best. A real good rise ball pitcher that could make it jump, was as hard to hit as a baseball pitcher bringing it 90, and i felt the same on the drops or sinkers. I enjoyed both ways. Unfortunately in our area men's fast pitch died several years ago.

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
It is about 30 mph difference for reaction time from 40 feet to 60 feet, so from 43 - 60 probably around 23.5mph difference, so a batter facing a pitcher who throws 70mph (which there are not tons of women who throw that hard consistently) would equal the same reaction time of a baseball pitcher throwing 93.5 mph, and there are not tons that consistently throw at that speed. So, is it harder, well I know I faced a baseball pitcher and had no problem hitting it. it seemed like it took forever to get there. But again, they were not throwing 90+ mph. I work at an indoor Softball/Baseball training facility, and we had Tracy Fowler there for our grand opening and the minor league players who were also there had a very difficult time hitting off of her.... So, take it as you will, I think it depends on what you are use to seeing, but when the ball gets there with less reaction time and is rising it is hard for male and females to hit it consistently!!

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
BTW - In reference to if there is such a thing as a RISE BALL... Well some say it is a ball that drops less...

Airplanes rise into the air because of the wings getting air under them, a ball with seams that gets air under them pushing it up, is not rising I guess, just dropping less?? For all the critics, call it what you wish, but if a plane weighing tons can rise, I will bet that a softball can rise, or drop less!!

Oct 19, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Back in the mid-1990s I went to an exhibition baseball game, in Everett, WA, pitting the Everett Mariners (Class A) against an all-women's baseball team called the Coors Silver Bullets. A friend of mine, and former Seattle Mariner, Bob Stinson, was playing. I don't remember her name, but one of the Bullets' pitchers came into the game in relief about halfway through the game. She pitched fastpitch-style from 60' 6" and nobody on the Mariners could touch her, including Bob, who had several years of MLB experience!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan