Jay Miller out at Mississippi

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Aurora native Jay Miller out as Mississippi State softball coach
By Rick Armstrong rarmstrong@stmedianetwork.com June 27, 2011 9:42PM
Reprints

Updated: June 27, 2011 10:06PM

What have you done for me lately?

Whether it’s professional or big-time college sports, we know all too well that preceding adage applies when it comes to coaches or managers. Jay Miller knew it, too.

Still, it didn’t make it any easier for the 55-year-old Aurora native on May 18 when Mississippi State University athletic director Scott Stricklin informed the school’s winningest softball coach his contract wouldn’t be renewed when it expired on June 30th.

“It came as a big surprise to me as well,” said Miller, whose ninth MSU team went 24-32. “(Stricklin) is the new AD and can bring in his own people.”

That’s true, but it raised more than a few eyebrows even though Miller’s last three teams have combined to go 78-89.

“I thought he’d retire before they let him go,” former MSU player Chelsea Bramlett, who went on to play for Miller on the U.S. national team in 2009-10, told the Columbus Dispatch when the story broke.

“This is a total surprise. He’s been there for so long, and having the type of name he has being with the national team and the knowledge of the game he has, it’s hard to believe.”

The 41-year-old Stricklin is a Mississippi State graduate who got his start in the school’s media relations department and climbed the administrative ranks at several schools before returning to Starkville in 2008 as Associate AD for External Affairs. He apparently did well as a fundraiser for several capital projects and took over as AD in May of 2010 when Greg Byrne left to take the same position at Arizona.

It’s hard to believe Miller won’t land on his feet and be coaching again somewhere soon. His resume, to say the least, is impressive.

In five of Miller’s first six years at the school in Starkville, the Bulldogs made it to the NCAA tournament.

In this, Miller’s 29th season as a college head coach, he earned his 1,000th career win with a 4-3 decision over Auburn.

His previous college coaching jobs included two years at Purdue, three at Oklahoma City and 15 at Missouri.

All told, he’s won 1,004 of his 1,672 decisions for a .600 winning percentage.

He coached the national team for USA Softball to six gold medals in six different international events in 2009-2010.

“I really don’t know at this point. I’ve had some inquiries but it’s kind of slow right now,” Miller said. “We’ll wait to see what the summer brings. There are quite a few openings, it’s just trying to find the best move for me and our family.”

Miller’s daughter, Nicole, just completed her sophomore year at Lake Forest College where she plays softball. And his wife, Lacy Lee Baker, is the Executive Director of the National Fastpitch Coaches Association.

That group is looking to move it’s offices to a new location, so that will likely have a bearing on his future employment decisions, Miller said.

“They’re probably going to be moving to a city somewhere in the southeast,” he said.

The decision will also have an impact on West Aurora graduate Stephanie Becker, a 6-foot-1 left-handed pitcher who just completed her sophomore season at Mississippi State.

“By the end of the year I considered her my No. 1 pitcher,” Miller said of the lefty who would finish 7-11. “She started a little shaky but by the end of the conference season, she was carrying us.”

Vann Stuedeman, the pitching coach at Alabama the past 11 seasons, was recently named to replace Miller and will be Becker’s third college pitching coach in three seasons.

“I’m looking forward to getting to know her and working with her,” Stuedeman said. “She really kept them in it this season when we played them in the SEC Tournament.”

This past season, Miller had to replace his pitching coach from Becker’s freshman year.

“The first fellow I hired had a death in the family and had to leave after just two weeks on the job,” said Miller, who then brought in Alan Colglazier of Pueblo, Colo.

In 1980, Colglazier pitched Aurora’s Home Savings to the ISC World Championships title in men’s softball.

“He came in late, after fall ball, and still managed to do a great job with our pitchers,” said Miller. “He’ll land on his feet.”

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
That's a real shame. I've attended NFCA coaches college courses with Jay and had the privilege of chatting with him and breaking bread with him. He's a very down-to-earth man and a class act. Also a very dedicated coach who really knows the game. I have no doubt he'll end up just fine.

Nov 1, 2009
It is very hard for those programs to compete with the Florida and Alabama's of the world but it doesn't seem to matter when it comes to expectations.

Jun 3, 2010
I just heard that Van Studeman has replaced coach miller at Miss St. Van was the pitching coach at Alabama, her staff is the coach from Western KY and a local high school coach from Tuscaloosa.

Coach Beth Torina is now the new head coach at LSU, she was with FIU before coming to LSU.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan