Interference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Runner on 3rd. Batter hits line drive up 3rd base line, hits runner in leg. Both umps agree both ball and batter were in foul territory but in FU judgement runner interfered with 3rd baseman who was playing right on the line and was in motion to make a play. FU calls batter out for interference. Correct call?

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Sounds like the right call to me. The baserunner has to give the fielder an opportunity to make a play on the ball whether or not the ball is in foul territory. What if it was a pop-up in foul territory, and the baserunner interferred when the 3rd baseman who was tracking the ball to make the play? The baserunner would be out right? I think you go back to the intent of the rule which is to have rules in place so as not to encourage baserunners to interfere with the defenses ability to make a play on the ball. In your example, the 3rd baseman could have made an attempt to catch the line drive but the ball was interferred with by the baserunner. If it was a ground ball in foul territory, I say no, but this was a line drive and the 3rd baseman who was playing the line might have been able to make a diving play on the ball for the out.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
Well, if ASA, it's determined by whether or not the FU believes the defense has a play on the ball, if they do, then it's interference. Question, was the runner still in contact with the base? That could change the whole complexion of the call.

There is a rule specifically regarding a fly ball in foul territory. If it's a fly ball in foul territory and the umpire believes it was intentional interference, then the runner and batter are both out. In this case, you stated line drive, so that rule wouldn't apply.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Runner on 3rd. Batter hits line drive up 3rd base line, hits runner in leg. Both umps agree both ball and batter were in foul territory but in FU judgement runner interfered with 3rd baseman who was playing right on the line and was in motion to make a play. FU calls batter out for interference. Correct call?

How can the BU make any call from behind the SS? Unless R1 committed an act of interference, I see this as nothing, but a foul ball.

Nov 1, 2009
If the runner made contact with the fielder then the runner is out. This is absolutely the FU's call and it sounds like he made the right call in this case.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If the runner made contact with the fielder then the runner is out. This is absolutely the FU's call and it sounds like he made the right call in this case.

To start, it is a BASE umpire, not a field umpire. Nowhere does any post state there was contact between the two and the general statement just isn't true in all circumstances.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan