Interference...again!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
And you may be right where you are, but not in ISF, NCAA, NFHS, ASA, etc. While the defense has the right of way to field any batted ball, the runner does not forfeit their right to legally advance.

Can someone post the other rules? I did see the NCAA rule in the other thread, but do any of them specifically mention contact?

I play under ISF rules. I find it strange that there are different rule sets for each organisation. How confusing!

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Ok I've calmed down now (realizing it's just a game normally does that!). It looks like in 2007 ASA made a clarification to the interference rule....basically saying that impeding the ability for the fielder to cleanly field the ball, intentionally or UNintentionally, is considered interference. It of course is still a judgement call, but I do have to agree that the field ump could reasonably make that call. I still don't agree that it was the correct one.

I also have to apologize for the umpires here for stereotyping the person as well....had some issues in my past with people who "appear" similar to this personand let it affect my mood on my post, it was uncalled for.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Can someone post the other rules? I did see the NCAA rule in the other thread, but do any of them specifically mention contact?

I play under ISF rules. I find it strange that there are different rule sets for each organisation. How confusing!

Is there not a paragraph in ISF Rules concerning The Runner is Not Out when the runner runs behind or in front of the fielder outside of the base path to avoid interferring with the fielder attempting to field a batted ball in the base path..

Obviously, if the fielder has yet to field the ball, the base path is irrelevant unless this is their indicator that such action is permissible as long as the runner does not take any action which interferes with the fielder.

The field is laid out in a fashion that requires offense, defense and the ball to cross paths often.

Mar 13, 2010
No. When the ball is batted you can not interfere with a fielder at any point. Once it goes past a fielder (excluding pitcher) it is OK if it hits them, but jumping over a ball is interfering. You need to stop.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
No. When the ball is batted you can not interfere with a fielder at any point. Once it goes past a fielder (excluding pitcher) it is OK if it hits them, but jumping over a ball is interfering. You need to stop.

I don't need to stop, you are offering bad information to people who search these boards to learn.

Mar 13, 2010
Sorry, that 'you need to stop' wasn't directed at you. It was meant as a runner that you need to stop. Should have made that clearer ;-)

And it's not bad info for people playing under ISF/ASF rules. Those are the correct rules and I have seen players called out every time for doing so from t-ball games to national tournaments.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
And it's not bad info for people playing under ISF/ASF rules. Those are the correct rules and I have seen players called out every time for doing so from t-ball games to national tournaments.

ISF rule citation, please.

Mar 13, 2010
Ack forgot this was here!

Sec 60

a. An offensive player or team member that impedes, hinders, or confuses a defensive player attempting to
execute a play

Rule 8 section 9, m

When he interferes with a fielder attempting to field a fair-batted ball, regardless of whether the ball has first
been touched by another fielder, including the pitcher, or intentionally interferes with a thrown ball.
NOTE – Sec. k-m: If this interference, in the judgment of the umpire, is an obvious attempt to prevent a double
play, the immediate succeeding runner shall also be called out

Jumping over the ball comes with the confuses part. I've seen it called out every time it occurs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan