Interesting call this weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I heard an ump tell a coach something this year. "I'm not supposed to make it look pretty, I'm supposed to get it right."

Maybe he realized he made the wrong call and corrected it, I wish all umps were willing to review something in their mind and correct their errors as quickly as possible. This year has been the year for the most bone headed calls I have ever seen. But I have also seen some stellar umping. Definitely a year of contrasts.

Hows this one. Girl swings and as she is swinging the ball hits her on the hand. He awards her first base. His reason, the ball was outside of the strike zone, so she gets first. If it was in the strike zone it would have been a dead ball strike (third strike). Thats just 1 of the half dozen totally blown calls I have seen this year, and I am not counting judgement calls strictly rules and procedural calls that were blown.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
As has been stated, the PU should not verbalize the fair ball. I would be willing to bet that he knows that, and it just happened during the heat of the play. As for the coach yelling about the ball hitting the batter, it could have triggered an "instant replay" of the play in the umpire's mind and he realized that, yes, the batter was hit by the batted ball while she was still in the box. So he kills the play and resets.

Or the crew was using the secret signal system and the BU indicated the ball hit the batter without calling it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00