Intentional swing-and-miss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
🙂 having watched this video numerous times looking at different details of the defensive part in the play... Finally 😄 looked at what the batter was doing and it does appear to me that it was an intentional swing-and-miss.

There is another video where San Diego had the batter show bunt and pull back the bat as they had sent another Runner. So that does kind of lead to think they're trying to distract the catcher at times.

What does everyone think about
swing-and-miss on purpose?
Does it appear to you that
this was a swing-and-miss?

May 11, 2014
I posted on another thread that Patty Gasso said they have an intentional swing and miss play on a steal attempt to keep the fielders occupied

Jul 22, 2015
🙂 having watched this video numerous times looking at different details of the defensive part in the play... Finally 😄 looked at what the batter was doing and it does appear to me that it was an intentional swing-and-miss.

There is another video where San Diego had the batter show bunt and pull back the bat as they had sent another Runner. So that does kind of lead to think they're trying to distract the catcher at times.

What does everyone think about
swing-and-miss on purpose?
Does it appear to you that
this was a swing-and-miss?

Definitely a purposeful swing and miss. Intended to make fielders stay at home just a beat longer and/or distract the catcher a little. I don't care for it because I don't like to just give a strike away if the pitch was out of the zone. I'd rather show bunt (not super early, make it look real) and pull back or just hit and run. But, maybe there's something I'm not thinking of.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes there could be some intention to distract/ occupy the fielders with a swing.

Considering the option of a fake bunt and pull back that could occupy the fielders and have them crash in or hold just the same.
Without giving up the strike.

This discussion is a good example of strategies in fastpitch.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If she was swinging and missing to distract the catcher, she failed miserably. And when stealing 3rd, the late fake bunt/pull back late and low is a much better distraction. The bat gets in the way and also causes SS to handle the throw and tag on the run.

This is a little off the topic but can you teach a batter to swing and miss when they guess/anticipate wrong about a pitch. For example, 3-1 count, and the batter is looking for FB but pitcher throws off speed. Could you teach a batter to intentionally swing over it instead of slowing bat down and making weak contact and get another pitch. Josh Hamiton use to do this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles