Infield and Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
Certain pitches have a tendency to be hit differently. For example, with dropballs you can expect more grounders, with the rise more popups/flyballs. Location plays a part as well. An outside pitch to a righty will usually stay on the right side of the infield.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Not only that, I learned from Candrea, that he and his infielders are constantly communicating with the OF.

Gosh, when I played OF, all I had was a parent or 2 wildly waving their arms at me.

Jan 30, 2010
As a third basemen playing slowpitch I would always make sure i know what is being pitched, as a inside pitch would be coming fast.
Your infielders can get that extra jump if the pitch is in the location called.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The very first thing infielders, especially 3B with right hand batters and 1B with lefties, is whether the pitcher is throwing a changeup. You don't want 3B charging when the batter has plenty of time to pull the bat back and smack one down the 3B line.

The more a fielder understands about the game, the more knowing the pitch will help the fielder. Riseballs are more likely to get a flyball or popup; drop balls are more likely to get groundballs. If the pitch is a fastball, then, depending upon how fast the pitcher is, the ball might go to the right side or left side. Same with ball position.

But, every fielder should know if the pitcher is throwing the change.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Many infielders just look at what signs the catcher is giving. The shortstop, 2B often relay that sign to the outfield.

I have used this in the past to keep some players at 10U tuned into the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45