How do you select your players positions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
I'm wondering how you determine your players positions if the players are all fairly equal in ability? Where would you put your most athletic player if she is short in stature?

Apr 13, 2013
The order I would put players in regardless of their size, for 12U Team. We have had a few smallish 1st basemen and I have not seen it be an Issue. I think size is overrated on the field, DD is of course smallish. :)

P,C,SS,1st,3rd,2nd,CF,RF,LF

If there are no drop third strikes of stealing of home I would move C down 2.
If no one can catch very well, I would move 1st up 1.

(Not sure if that was what you were asking)

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If all are equal, then I prefer not having the primary pitchers and catchers in the infield. I'd rather have full-time infielders (non-pitchers, catchers) because they will 'master' their positions quicker if they're not platooning. The infield positions are each unique and critical to an overall defense, so they need maximum experience to learn their craft and to gel as an infield unit. I'd rather not shuffle my infield every time there's a pitching change.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I yell, "Take the field!" They look at me for 2 seconds and someone sprints out to the field, with the others close behind.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
First I would ask them what positions they want/like to play or have played before. Then evaluate their fielding, range, throwing, ect. Of course depending upon the age group you might not have anyone wanting to play the outfield :)

Mar 31, 2013
Chicago
Personally, I love speed up the middle and strong arms, we run a ton of snap throws so I need a 2b that can do that. I also call pitches so the ball is generally in the ground so having ball hawks on the corners is necessary, great arm at 3rd. 1st is always important, a good first baseman makes a bad infield look good. A steady catcher is necessary, one that doesn't let up passed balls and is generally a smarter player helps. I like my outfield to be super fast with at least average arms going left with the weakest to right with the strongest. I also need a P that can field her position.

Apr 1, 2010
Most athletic, but short? JMO, but if very fast, CF; if normal fast, MI; if not very fast, C.

By the way, how old are these girls? Is this a girl who's short now, but could end up much taller after she's hit her growth spurt?

Last edited:
May 18, 2009
Fastest girl I've ever seen. Her primary is CF and then SS or C. I like CoogansBluff's plan. Coaches have #2 pitcher at SS. When she rotates in #1P goes to 1st and fast girl goes to SS. Another athlete comes in to play CF. #1P is the best pitcher. 2-4 are all about equal pitching and they are all great athletes. Only one player on the team seems to have a set position where I haven't seen her move out of.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz