Honoring John Gay 3/6/16

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
On March 6th, the Vancouver Girls Softball Association with be inducting John Gay and Ed Maxwell into their hall of fame. Both are very respected in this area and very deserving. John's health is failing and the hope is that he will be able to attend.

If you know either of these men and would like to attend or if you have a story, message, video or photo you'd like to share, please contact Cyndi Johnson: cyndi.g.johnson@gmail.com

Vancouver Girls Softball Association

May 12, 2008
I corresponded with John years ago as Mark H on the old Fastpitch Forum. His name had slipped my memory till now. Always a gentleman and a fine fellow. Please give him my best wishes in case he remembers me.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Sorry to report that John passed away a few days ago. Vancouver Girls Softball Association had just held a Hall of Fame induction banquet for him the weekend prior. Many warm memories and success stories were shared. The banquet was video-taped and John was able to view it. He was an amazing man, mentor and teacher of the game. He will be missed and fondly remembered by many....

JG.jpg

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I corresponded with John years ago as Mark H on the old Fastpitch Forum. His name had slipped my memory till now. Always a gentleman and a fine fellow. Please give him my best wishes in case he remembers me.

I also spoke with John back around 1997, and remember him to be a very pleasant man with all kinds of knowledge on pitching. I'm sure he will be missed by MANY.

Feb 15, 2016
Sorry to report that John passed away a few days ago. Vancouver Girls Softball Association had just held a Hall of Fame induction banquet for him the weekend prior. Many warm memories and success stories were shared. The banquet was video-taped and John was able to view it. He was an amazing man, mentor and teacher of the game. He will be missed and fondly remembered by many....

View attachment 10086

Sad to hear. John was DD2's first pitching coach and the guy who convinced me that I should learn at least a little bit about coaching pitchers.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Wow, how strange. He just sent me a message a few days ago asking for my personal email address. Must've been right before he passed. So sorry to hear this.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
John taught me about pitching. I should say my niece and me. When we went to him we knew nothing about fastpitch. After we practiced what he taught us, my niece learned how to pitch over the winter.

He really was a great guy.

ArmyStrong

Going broke on softball
Sep 14, 2014
Pacific NW
It's nice to see John getting recognition in some of the threads here. He was definitely great with the girls. I don't think he ever coached for the money. The amount he charged us was for travel expenses and gear (balls, batting gloves, etc.) that he gave out to the girls during the clinics. A true fan, he always tried to catch a game or two when travelling out for clinics.

John was a champion for softball, and now he can watch any game he wants and has the best seat in the park to watch his pitchers shine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13