High School Coaches coaching Travel Teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2012
Is there a rule against a High School coach coaching his girls on a travel team after the high school season is completed? Tennessee (TSSAA)?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Is there a rule against a High School coach coaching his girls on a travel team after the high school season is completed? Tennessee (TSSAA)?

You would have to ask the TSSAA. That would be the only source that would be able to give you a valid answer which could be referenced in the future.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'm just outside Memphis, yes TSSAA has restrictions on the HC and HS travel teams. He can coach 5 weekend tournaments, TSSAA only allows 10 game days with the HC. ( If a tourney starts on Friday night, it is considered "free" and the day doesn't count towards the 10 )
June 24th-July 7th is the dead period, the HC can't be involved and the 50% rule is in effect. Dead period starts back up on the 30th of July. He can coach his team anytime besides the dead period, within the 10 game day restrictions.

Hope this helps. Maybe we will see y'all on the dirt this spring. There are some monster high school tourneys in TN during the season. Some have 30-40-50 schools entered from AR to FL to IL to WV, and some very tough competition. I highly recommend these for a good softball program to enter. I can send a list if your team might be interested in signing up, they fill pretty quick.

Last edited:
Personally I hate the 50% rule. It may not be quite so restrictive if there are multiple high schools in a community (or reasonably close) because they can play/practice together. But for rural / small programs it is too restrictive.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Personally I hate the 50% rule. It may not be quite so restrictive if there are multiple high schools in a community (or reasonably close) because they can play/practice together. But for rural / small programs it is too restrictive.

Heck east tn has some of the best TB programs in the state. You shouldn't have too much problem finding a good team to join. Most of the older established programs know how to work the system.

We are pretty rural, town has 5000 residents. Next town up has 3500, next one up about 2500. 3 high schools within the county, I've recruited the best out of each ( and have recruited up to 3 hours away for 1-2 that stood out ) school system. And have played some pretty serious ball all over this great nation and won some big tournaments.

Biggest thing is you gotta get out there and do the foot work. Plan and start recruiting 6 months ahead of time, it can be done. You gotta remember the girls in the other schools are in the same boat with the 50% rule. And the best want to play somewhere. All it takes is someone to lay the foundation.

Last edited:
GOINGDEEP: "Heck east tn has some of the best TB programs in the state. You shouldn't have too much problem finding a good team to join. Most of the older established programs know how to work the system."

We are about as isolated as can be when it comes to this particular issue. Yes we have some very good HS programs in the area, but they take care of themselves when it comes to travel ball time. Meaning they don't often let girls from other programs in. I was told by one that "we don't want to bring in players, and neglect our own."
I have tried to organize a grassroots travel organization to benefit the local HS program (before I started coaching Middle School) but dead period, and parent apathy pretty much killed that. I have in the past gave my word/recommendation for some girls in the past to get them with a team, but after getting burned a few times, I am very reluctant to do that anymore.
We have several girls from our high school playing with independent teams, but practice distances range up to 75 miles one way. My own daughters are playing with a team from South West VA. Sunday practices are a four round trip, but it is worth it to have them in a good organization. Best of all, I am not coaching and can just watch!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
GOINGDEEP: "Heck east tn has some of the best TB programs in the state. You shouldn't have too much problem finding a good team to join. Most of the older established programs know how to work the system."

We are about as isolated as can be when it comes to this particular issue. Yes we have some very good HS programs in the area, but they take care of themselves when it comes to travel ball time. Meaning they don't often let girls from other programs in. I was told by one that "we don't want to bring in players, and neglect our own."
I have tried to organize a grassroots travel organization to benefit the local HS program (before I started coaching Middle School) but dead period, and parent apathy pretty much killed that. I have in the past gave my word/recommendation for some girls in the past to get them with a team, but after getting burned a few times, I am very reluctant to do that anymore.
We have several girls from our high school playing with independent teams, but practice distances range up to 75 miles one way. My own daughters are playing with a team from South West VA. Sunday practices are a four round trip, but it is worth it to have them in a good organization. Best of all, I am not coaching and can just watch!

You know sometimes I forget how blessed/lucky we have been all these years. Not only have we had a above par group of talented young ladies in this county, but for the most part we have all gotten along for 10 years of TB. I had no magical powers to make this happen, it just did. I was just lucky to be involved.

Yes, 4 of the 8 teams we faced at TSSAA state championships travel as a team for college exposure tournaments. It's one way the schools build such good programs and keep them. Showing you can get over 50% of your players "some" type of scholarship sure doesn't hurt sponsor money or talent choosing to move into the school district. Like Soddy Daisy splits theirs between Mustang 18 and Frost Falcon 16, depending on age. Firebirds are Riverdale, Fury is Beech. ( mostly )

You know sometimes I forget how blessed/lucky we have been all these years. Not only have we had a above par group of talented young ladies in this county, but for the most part we have all gotten along for 10 years of TB. I had no magical powers to make this happen, it just did. I was just lucky to be involved.

Yes, 4 of the 8 teams we faced at TSSAA state championships travel as a team for college exposure tournaments. It's one way the schools build such good programs and keep them. Showing you can get over 50% of your players "some" type of scholarship sure doesn't hurt sponsor money or talent choosing to move into the school district. Like Soddy Daisy splits theirs between Mustang 18 and Frost Falcon 16, depending on age. Firebirds are Riverdale, Fury is Beech. ( mostly )

Indeed!
For the most part we have not had too much drama, but there are always a few that seem intent on turning over the cart. Our biggest issue was probably the growing pains as we learned the basics of the sport.
The biggest problem is that very few players and parents understand what it takes to get to that next level. There are some that (even in the best of economies) that simply cannot afford to play TB, or have pitching/batting coaches. Unfortunately the girls that do not play any summer/fall ball have the parents that complain the loudest when the school program has inconsistent play.
There are very positive signs at the 8u and 10U levels though, with competitive teams playing in Johnson City and Bristol. We have never had that, and it certainly helps us not lose ground.
Many years ago my wife and I lived three blocks from Riverdale HS in Murfreesboro. Over the last few years I have often wondered how my daughters' would have fared in those programs.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I saw something about not contacting kids after seventh grade about playing ball, not sure if it was any kind of ball or just school.

Coaches can't contact or recruit a student to his/her school for the sole purpose of athletics. That would be a TSSAA violation. Not sure what age it starts because we now have TMSAA ( middle school ).

The by-laws are decent and there with good intentions, but even someone with minimal intelligence can get around them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad