High Cost of Travel Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
Travel ball can be described as "Spending more than a college education costs, to try to get a college scholarship"

But, its also a hell of a lot of fun at the elite level. It is so cool to see young girls that are really disciplined stud athletes, while still adorably cute and innocent.

And they are hanging out around mom and dad a lot instead of the mall or boys etc. while learning about responsibility, preparation, teamwork and focusing on a goal.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
And they are hanging out around mom and dad a lot instead of the mall or boys etc. while learning about responsibility, preparation, teamwork and focusing on a goal.

I like this reply! I am thrilled that my 9yo is part of a team, and it gets me a lot of one on one time with her as well as practice time. It sure beats when we are upstairs watching tv and they are palying Wii.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
Here in South East PA I'm paying (actually my wife is this year!) $950 in dues for my daughter's 14U travel team, plus exta travel expenses. Her team will play in three overnight tournaments: 1st is 3 nights; 2nd 2 nights; and 3rd 6 nights + airfare (Nebraska for the Cat Osterman Experience). Money is tight, but I'm looking to build memories, which are priceless, so the expense is worth it.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Gerry, priceless memories should be why we all do softball with our DD's. Our HS dues are $550, our travel team dues are another $400. We are trying something diff this year, taking the team to play in the Triple Crown Series and watch the College World Series in OK, City. Hopefully get to play some of the West Coast teams we don't get the chance to play here in the south.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I like this reply! I am thrilled that my 9yo is part of a team, and it gets me a lot of one on one time with her as well as practice time. It sure beats when we are upstairs watching tv and they are palying Wii.

Most say I love your quote. My father and I didn't get along off the softball field, to say the least. We have completely different interests. If I didn't play softball, I don't know when I'd ever see him. Softball is definitely a great way to keep the girls focused on something great vs. the mall or the boys. A lot of the local guys come to our practices and when the younger girls practice (13U) I definitely enforce the dress code (I help my dad coach my sister's team). No need to impress, for practice time they belong to us!

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Gerry, priceless memories should be why we all do softball with our DD's. Our HS dues are $550, our travel team dues are another $400. We are trying something diff this year, taking the team to play in the Triple Crown Series and watch the College World Series in OK, City. Hopefully get to play some of the West Coast teams we don't get the chance to play here in the south.

Its a great trip to see the WCWS, see as much as you can. Makes it all worthwile. Buy tickets online and pick up at the will-call window, dont risk standing in line and it getting sold out. Dont expect any west coast teams at the Triple Crown tourney, actually its not that strong of a tournament, a lot of local and midwest teams, a lot of pretty weak teams show up too, and not really that many , may be more B teams than A teams. The draw is to have some fun and see the WCWS.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Its a great trip to see the WCWS, see as much as you can. Makes it all worthwile. Buy tickets online and pick up at the will-call window, dont risk standing in line and it getting sold out. Dont expect any west coast teams at the Triple Crown tourney, actually its not that strong of a tournament, a lot of local and midwest teams, a lot of pretty weak teams show up too, and not really that many , may be more B teams than A teams. The draw is to have some fun and see the WCWS.

Do you have any info on these teams for TC?
14 & Under A
Paid Teams
1. HotStix 96 (Shawnee)
2. Hurricanes (Kansas City)
3. KC Elite (Blue Springs)
4. LA Lady Hustlers (Baton Rouge)
5. MS Blast 95 (Brandon)
6. NE Houston Hurricanes (Humble)
7. Nebraska Aftershock (Lincoln)
8. Oklahoma Bedlam 14U (Oologah)
9. Omaha Quakes Black (Papillion)
10. Phoenix Fastpitch (Arlington)
11. Texas Heat (Kingwood)
12. TX Roadrunners (Helotes)
13. WOLFPACK FASTPITCH (Munford)
Penciled Teams:
Angels 96
Arvada Blue Jays
California TNT
CO Comets
Crush- CO
Explosion II
LA Patriots
Lawrence Thunder
Mid-South Fusion
Mississippi Rampage
Oakland Sidewinders
Paola Explosion II
Pitt County Rockets ENC Red
Red Stick Softball 007s

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Here is something I posted on another website about the cost we pay:

Some of our expenses for my daughter:

Team Fee = $750. (X 6 years of travel = $4,500)

Camp Fees - $400 just this year. Typical year. (So $2,400. for 6 years)

Travel Fees per weekend - Average hotel is $90, average gas spent is $120, Food cost $200, T-shirt = $30 (my daughter has a T shirt for every tournament she has played in since she was 8. We now laugh about it.) We play on the road 6 weekends a year average. So total cost is $2,640. (So $15,840 over 6 years)

Nationals Week! Yes, this is a week long affair. Average somewhere around $700 if we spend it with two other players. Have only gone away twice. (So $1400)

This does not include equipment. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE 2 WINTER TOURNAMENTS ON THE ROAD! This does not include a second fund-raiser each year where if we don't raise a sponsor then we have to pay $200 more.

Wow, it'll be cheaper when she goes to college!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207