Hey, Two questions.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2010
I'm in 7th grade and new to this forum, but I have 2 questions about my fielding.
I am about to leave my current team and go to a really awesome one that is somewhat far from where I live. I got tryouts this weekend for them. Here are the questions..........
When I am playing second or shortstop, and I need to dive for a hard grounder how do I do it right?
Because when I dive it's more like a flop! :eek:

2nd question: I am right handed when a hard ground ball is hit to my right side ( my throwing side) and I have to hurry and backhand it I often miss it is there any easier way I can stop it?

(I can't dive for these kind because they are right next to me but I can't get in front of it fast enough.)
Please help me out on these and answer both questions!
THANKS FOR YOU TIME!
-Softballchik
† Jesus loves you

Jun 13, 2010
First of all it can be real hard to give you any answer on the forum that can help you.
If you can find a girl that plays the middle infield in high school or about 16u and have them help you. Or have a local coach work with both of you at the same time.
This is one kind of problem that is much better solved "In the flesh". If some one helps it will be much easier for you . Best of luck let us know how it goes for you.

Feb 24, 2010
If you would have posted this a couple of weeks ago, I would have told you what wild man said, plus add "practice more on these areas". Otherwise, try to anticipate the ball location before it is hit to you and beat the ball to the spot, so you don't have to dive or go to your back hand. It also sounds like you may also need to work on your foot-speed and agility, but with 2 days until your tryout this may not be practical. I guess you can chalk this up to planning ahead, which you will have to do for the rest of your life in any area, not just softball.

Good luck, and tell us how you did.

Oct 25, 2009
Diving for the ball if necessary will probably impress the coaches. When they see the effort they will realize it if more training is needed and will judge you for your effort.

When you have to dive for a ball, do not think about the dive; instead let the ball pull you to it, if you know what I mean. In other words follow the ball with your eyes until it goes into your glove.

On the crossover backhand try to get your foot to the ball with your backhand just in front of your foot.

As one poster mentioned, do lots of speed, agility, reaction drills.

With tryouts two days away, the most you can do is do EVERYTHING with the MOST EFFORT you can during tryouts.

Effort and attitude rule at tryouts! You can teach skill; attitude is there or it isn't!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad