Head first slide?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2013
Either way you slide, there is a risk of injury. That is especially true if you don't know how to slide correctly. I don't know if it isn't taught correctly or not practiced enough. Even at the college level it is poor.

I used to teach players proper running and sliding techniques. I used to use a "Slip-n-Slide" to get younger players at least comfortable with sliding. We tried to make it fun and somewhat relatable. We saw a tremendous improvement. But, the company is now out of business.

I've slid hundreds of times wearing shorts and sneakers and never once injured myself during various drills. Because I knew HOW to slide.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Either way you slide, there is a risk of injury. That is especially true if you don't know how to slide correctly. I don't know if it isn't taught correctly or not practiced enough. Even at the college level it is poor.

I used to teach players proper running and sliding techniques. I used to use a "Slip-n-Slide" to get younger players at least comfortable with sliding. We tried to make it fun and somewhat relatable. We saw a tremendous improvement. But, the company is now out of business.

I've slid hundreds of times wearing shorts and sneakers and never once injured myself during various drills. Because I knew HOW to slide.

That is the problem and probably why some organizations do not directly address the slide. To do so, there would probably be some level of assurance the players actually knew what they were doing and they cannot control that.

And the "pros" aren't always that good at it. A few years back, there was one of these 30-second instructional blasts during a softball game. It was an Olympic player demonstrating how to slide. The moment she said you lead with your right foot, tuck and slide on your left leg and then just lie down is the moment I cringed thinking about all the legs that would get torn up trying to slide like that.

Personally, I believe if done properly, there is nothing more dangerous about a hand-first slide (I have NEVER seen anyone slide leading with their head) than a feet-first slide. Those who worry about neck and spinal injuries shouldn't be, if the slide is executed properly. The head should never be down. If it is, how is the runner going to see where they are going and when to grab the base?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We males seem to forget we are coaching females! I coach high school and 18U, I can tell you there is another reason they don't like to slide back head first! Amy explain it to them!

Dec 7, 2011
Only thing that applies here is common sense in doing the head first slide.

If the baseman/catcher is a stud that is 6 foot and is known to chew nails - don't head first slide cus she will not give it.

Otherwise it's 6 one way half dozen the other. I have seen many more injuries to knee's & ankles sliding the normal way versus one injury I have seen, albeit bad (broken collar bone), head first.

It's a sport with a certain amount of danger - let's move on.....

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
We males seem to forget we are coaching females! I coach high school and 18U, I can tell you there is another reason they don't like to slide back head first! Amy explain it to them!

Don't need Amy to explain it. It's not a secret.

Had a game where a runner who just slid safely into 3B, requested time, jumped up and asked the coach if he knew where she could get a new set of nipples. Granted, this was a young woman (college player) and this was a summer game, but it was funny as hell.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors