Guest players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Here's a philosophical question. Your team is going to Nationals of one flavor of another. You have enough to play but are worried about having subs, so you invite a couple of guest players to come along.

How much do you play the guest players? Do you use them as fillers/subs, or do you play them all the time since they're doing your team a favor by coming along?

Nov 1, 2008
From a parent's aspect, if i go through the effort of taking my dd to a game i expect her to get at least one at bat and play an inning or two in one of her normal positions during each game. I wouldn't want her to just be stuck into a position that she hasn't practiced/played at. I'm sure those girls don't agree to come thinking they'll ride the pine the entire weekend.

Jun 6, 2009
I always told parents/players right after tryouts, that if there were players that were needed/available for nationals, I would pick them up. I also told them if they were good enough to be picked up, they would play. This way eveerybody knew upfront and that it wouldn't be any suprize if I did it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If you are going to use a pick up player, then you she is part of the team. So, you treat her like everyone else.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Semi-related to the original question...

If your daughter is invited to play as a guest on a travel team, because they're short players... Should you ( the parent of the guest) throw some $$ to the team? If no, even if it ends up happening on several occasions?

I can see both sides

1- No, because she was "invited", and the team may not have been able to play the tournament if she didn't show up
2- Yes, because everyone else paid alot of money, and it's unfair if she plays for free

Just not sure of what's customary or expected.

Oct 19, 2009
Philosophically, I think if you are going to nationals you take the team that got you the berth and use those players. Guest players are for only if you are short handed.

If I'm a parent of one of the players that have been with the team from day one and the coach brings guest players and that cuts into my kids playing time, I'm going to be fuming. As a coach I totally respect that perspective.

Mar 15, 2010
As a first year 10U rec all-star my DD and another player on her team were asked by the coach of our second year 10U all-star team to join that team at the state championships. Before leaving for the tournament he made it clear to both the girls and the parents that they were being added as subs and may not play at all. The tournament was being played in July in Lancaster, CA in 100+ weather. It was a very good decision on his part as we ended up drawing two back to back games in pool play and with the weather taking a toll on the starters both my DD and the other player from her team saw extended action in the second game. Neither played much in bracket but both were so happy to just have had the opportunity. I have to give the coach credit that setting expectations before we left made the entire trip worthwhile. The girls knew what to expect and everyone (the entire team and their parents) were thrilled when both girls had a chance to contribute. My point is setting clear expectations before hand may help or prevent conflicts.

Sep 3, 2009
I think coaches need to realize what (who) got them there in the first place. If there is a legitimate need for a body to fill a roster spot, or sub, then play them like they were on the team all along. Making actual players ride the pine so that the ringers can get the coach a trophy?? That's just wrong.

The other question about paying... I've never been asked to pay for my dd to guest. Your dd is doing them a favor, the entry for the tournament has already been paid, and the team already has a spare uniform or two. If they don't, then they probably should I would think. I've always thought of the word in simple terms, "guest". I don't make my dinner guests bring the food and beverages when I invite them over, they are after all, "guests".

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Thats a hypothetical question, right?

Even when you NEED a player to fill a gap, you will have almost every parent on the team complain.

The girls may not care,unless they are shafted on playing time already. The parents will resent her, and probably treat her parents a bit coldly too, not like the others.

If you have parents who are already malcontent about DD playing time, they will be very vocal and try to instigate dissent amont others. Money, especially comes up. How much did she pay, did she pay like everyone else, are others footing her costs?, etc.

Feel free to do it if you expect the girl to be a future part of the team next year. Consider the repercussions if its only truly for one tournament.

Jul 28, 2008
Even when you NEED a player to fill a gap, you will have almost every parent on the team complain.

The girls may not care,unless they are shafted on playing time already. The parents will resent her, and probably treat her parents a bit coldly too, not like the others.

If you have parents who are already malcontent about DD playing time, they will be very vocal and try to instigate dissent amont others. Money, especially comes up. How much did she pay, did she pay like everyone else, are others footing her costs?, etc.

Feel free to do it if you expect the girl to be a future part of the team next year. Consider the repercussions if its only truly for one tournament.

Not true. I picked up a catcher for some tournaments a few years back on a team I coached. My team was lacking at that position that year. Every single time we picked her up, we won the tournament. Not one parent was ticked off we picked her up. In fact they all tried to get her to leave her regular team for ours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG