Glove knocked off?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
During an asa tournament game this weekend, a batter hit a shallow fly ball to center field. Centerfielder charged in and made a "shoestring catch" but it knocked off her glove. The glove went to the ground but the ball stayed in the glove. One ump said the batter was out. The other ump called her safe. Which one was correct?

Well obviously the umps will get together and make a call and that will be the right call. In these situations as with all umpire rulings it always comes down to two things 1) what did you see? 2) what was the ruling?

The question that has to be answered is exactly when did the glove come off? if she had the glove on long enough to demonstrate control of the ball then it would be an out, if she never had control it would not be a catch. Something I think that also helps is was her release of the ball voluntary, nobody usually voluntarily lets their glove leave their hand so this would lean very heavily towards a no catch ruling.

Jun 22, 2008
The glove must be properly worn while making a catch. Laying on the ground with the ball in it is not properly worn. Based on your description I would say the fielder never had control of the ball when the glove came off, no catch.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The question that has to be answered is exactly when did the glove come off? if she had the glove on long enough to demonstrate control of the ball then it would be an out, if she never had control it would not be a catch. Something I think that also helps is was her release of the ball voluntary, nobody usually voluntarily lets their glove leave their hand so this would lean very heavily towards a no catch ruling.

There is also the argument that if the player didn't have control of themself or the glove, how could they possible have control of the ball? And, as noted, I wouldn't think this could be sold as a voluntary release, though I have seen players drop their glove with the ball due to injury, but only after an out call was made.

There is also the argument that if the player didn't have control of themself or the glove, how could they possible have control of the ball? And, as noted, I wouldn't think this could be sold as a voluntary release, though I have seen players drop their glove with the ball due to injury, but only after an out call was made.

Agreed these things are always hard to tell without seeing it for our selves. Maybe OP will come back with a better description but if the momentum of the ball literally knocked her glove off her hand I would lean towards no catch.

Oct 18, 2009
Thanks for the information. I always thought it was about having control of the ball. In this situation, the cf charged the ball, ball hit glove, cf took one step, glove came off, and fell to the ground with the ball inside. Imo it was not a catch; however there was a lot of discussion around the park. I just always like to see what others think.

Jun 7, 2012
Morgantown, WV
I would definitely also say the batter was not out. The glove coming off right as she caught the ball would not have shown control. As others stated, you often have to be there also...but based on the description, that is not an out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles