Fundamental catching issues - fear of the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2010
My DD is a very good 10U pitcher. She has a pitching coach and practices most days. Because most girls in our area are not so practiced or focused, she tends to spend a lot of time in the circle. Probably half her playing time is as a pitcher.

About 16 months ago, while playing catch with another girl, she missed a throw and caught it in the eye. Nothing broken, but the bones were deeply bruised. As much as 6 months later she was still feeling tenderness. She's fine now, but the incident is etched in her mind.

Since then her catching skills have gotten much worse. She has an obvious fear of the ball. She tends to twist, move, etc., in any way she can to move her body out of the path of the ball while catching it. This leads to many dropped balls and passed balls, and baserunners are really starting to take advantage of it.

I have taken the approach that she will eventually get over it and find proper form, and that is what our pitching coach has suggested as well. She's only 10 after all. But I am starting to doubt that, as it seems like its getting worse, not better. Can anyone offer any suggestions for coaching a player past their fear of the ball at young ages?

Incidentally, when she is under game pressure to make a catch, e.g. if she is making a play at a base, her form becomes very good. She is not afraid of the ball when hitting, either. In fact she stands in better than most when facing fast pitchers, even wild ones.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Get a facemask.

Also, when I have a young player that has this issue, I have them come to the catchers practice, dress them up in the gear and have them go through all the drills that the regular catchers go through. It helps their confidence a lot!

Instead of correcting her when she misses or moves, make a big deal when she does it correctly. "Wow, you did a nice job on that one." You can also let her know that she will not be anywhere on the infield until she can catch the ball correctly.

You could also video tape her to let her see how silly she looks dodging the ball.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My DD started to wear a face mask this year, despite her resistance.

She needs to wear it if she plays 1st, 3rd or pitches.

She was one of the few kids in the league that wore a face mask when she was not pitching. I am amazed at the number of pitchers that do not wear one, personally I think it should be required.

It took a little while but now it is a habit for her. Manager says she is playing 1st, she grabs her face mask.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Drew, insist she wear one. My DD chose to wear one on her own (thankfully), and was first on her team to wear one. Went from a gameface to a rip-it. She likes the rip-it much better. Wearing a mask has given her the confidence to attack the ball when paying third, she'a a wall out there and likes to be the first to the bunts so will play shallow alot of the time.

Jun 22, 2010
SE. Georgia
One thing that may help is to have her wear her batting helmet with face protection and have her catch the ball right in front of her face, this will re-build her confidence.... i will put my 10u girls in front of the pitching machine at home plate with their helmets and cycle them thru stressing that they properly catch the ball out in front of them..

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles