Florida v. Arkansas on ESPN - Nice Job by Amanda S

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

amandascarborough

where's the chocolate?
Jan 22, 2014
Everywhere, USA
DD follows Amanda and considers her an inspiration ever since the clinic she and Calista Balko put on a few years ago in Friendswood. DD still wears the white shirt signed by both of them.

There is more to this story:
The exact details escape me, but this is what I remember. Amanda posted a blog a short while ago showing a letter where one of her parents? made her write down her goals in life when she was about 10. One of the things she wrote down was to be an ESPN announcer. Go figure.

First of all, tell your DD hello! Happy that we could make that kind of an impact on her, that's really what it's all about!

And yes, that was one of my college goals when there was a Q&A we had to fill out at the beginning of my senior season. I put my dream job was to be an ESPN announcer, and now it actually comes true!

Thanks so much for your support, it really means a lot. Hope to see you down the road!

amandascarborough

where's the chocolate?
Jan 22, 2014
Everywhere, USA
Love it!! Keep up the good work!! I for one am glad that they now have knowledgeable people announcing the games that we love.

You are one of the most supportive people I know! Thanks so much for all of your kind words. I promise they do not go unnoticed and I totally appreciate your positivity.

amandascarborough

where's the chocolate?
Jan 22, 2014
Everywhere, USA
Sorry but I find AS's misspeaking worse than MS. I prefer some of the other pairings. I find the play by play announcers are much better than the color, which probably goes with the training level/natural aptitude in announcing. Amin is good and the gentleman at Baylor's station is, too. This weekend, we have been saying if the color commentator says "job" (such as "has to do her job," "did her job," "knows what her job is") you have to drink a shot (well we made it sip of beer). Gosh, were we drunk. Making college softball a job is just too realistic for me.

Been thinking for a while about how to respond to this one! So you assumed that the Play by Plays are much better than the color because of the training, and you are 100% right. That is because they do 100-200 games a year. MOST of them went to college for broadcasting and took class upon class and got rep upon rep of doing their college's sports games on the radio or streamed on internet. Any sport they could do - softball, baseball, lacrosse. So when you literally have 2000+ reps compared to the color who sometimes just have close to 100, you can definitely see where experience would play a big part. Experience and practice is big in any sport you play or job you have. So yes, the play by plays are much more fine tuned than the color will be.

The play by plays were calling the game while I was actually out in the field playing them. I didn't go to school for broadcasting, I went to school to play the game I loved. Thus, while I was practicing softball, they were practicing broadcasting.

Adam Amin is awesome. He is young and is going to have so many opportunities ahead of him. I am so lucky I get to work with him and am very thankful for his knowledge of our game of softball.

Oh, and the reason why I say "job" is because I played for a coach who told us hundreds of times when I was playing for her to "do your job." That coach now has over 1000 D1 career wins. So when one of the biggest influences in your life says something over and over again, it just gets kind of stuck in your head. And I do firmly believe that every player on any team has a job to do at any given moment in a game.

If you're going to be drinking during the games, I'll be sure to say it a little bit extra the next time, and I might even say it's important to do your job "out in left field" just for you. :)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
If you're going to be drinking during the games, I'll be sure to say it a little bit extra the next time, and I might even say it's important to do your job "out in left field" just for you. :)

Best response to OILF's negativity ever...

Amanda....in case you don't know, OILF is our resident nay sayer. I thought your work was great and it was fun watching you knowing that you stop by here occasionally. Knowing that this was a specific goal of yours was really cool too, keep living the dream girl. If you manage to say job and out in left field in the same sentence I will nominate you for president. And how about Wilkinson? that kid can bring it, I love the lowish rise she was throwing and the three speeds. You need to coach her on her interviewing though, she didn't give her interviewer much to work with in the postgame.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
My DD was recently inspired by Amanda S. via a video she produced regarding how to approach hitting. It helped her understand the importance of having a plan when stepping into the box. Good stuff!

I rarely suggest youtube videos to folks, but the last few AS has put out have been very share-worthy.

amandascarborough

where's the chocolate?
Jan 22, 2014
Everywhere, USA
Best response to OILF's negativity ever...

Amanda....in case you don't know, OILF is our resident nay sayer. I thought your work was great and it was fun watching you knowing that you stop by here occasionally. Knowing that this was a specific goal of yours was really cool too, keep living the dream girl. If you manage to say job and out in left field in the same sentence I will nominate you for president. And how about Wilkinson? that kid can bring it, I love the lowish rise she was throwing and the three speeds. You need to coach her on her interviewing though, she didn't give her interviewer much to work with in the postgame.

Haha! I got told that there was a thread here regarding my work on ESPN, so I thought I would stop by...it's been a crazy spring, and haven't been here in a while!

I LOVE Wilkinson. Saw her pitch in College Station live about 2 months ago or so and knew she was going to be a great one. She is smooth. Composed. Spins the ball very well. Changes speed. Seriously, I love watching her. Just a sophomore too. And yes, that low rise is incredible. I really can't say enough good things about her! Another good young one to watch - Tori Finucane, freshman at Missouri. Chelsea and Tori could be the future of the SEC.

I agree about her interview, maybe she was nervous? Or just short and to the point? Haha you never know!

Thank you for your support and love for the game

Take care.

Sep 18, 2011
A big improvement over the typical garbage babble spouted by Michelle Smith et al. Hoping we get treated to the new blood during the WCWS.

Very surprised to read this. The DD, DW, and I all love listening to Michelle Smith and Jessica Mendoza. And Amanda is great as well. I think ESPNU has assembled a fantastic team. The difference in professionalism between ESPNU and the Big 10 Network or the fox sports channel is enormous. Anyway, looking forward to the broadcasts this weekend. Thank goodness for DVR.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44