Florida v. Arkansas on ESPN - Nice Job by Amanda S

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I actually had the volume on and enjoyed listening to the commentary provided by Amanda S and Adam during tonight's ESPN televised Florida-Arkansas game. Don't know her prior experience, but AS was knowledgeable (undoubtedly gleaned it all from DFP :rolleyes:) and seemed remarkably comfortable and polished.

A big improvement over the typical garbage babble spouted by Michelle Smith et al. Hoping we get treated to the new blood during the WCWS.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
My DD was recently inspired by Amanda S. via a video she produced regarding how to approach hitting. It helped her understand the importance of having a plan when stepping into the box. Good stuff!

Jan 24, 2011
Sorry but I find AS's misspeaking worse than MS. I prefer some of the other pairings. I find the play by play announcers are much better than the color, which probably goes with the training level/natural aptitude in announcing. Amin is good and the gentleman at Baylor's station is, too. This weekend, we have been saying if the color commentator says "job" (such as "has to do her job," "did her job," "knows what her job is") you have to drink a shot (well we made it sip of beer). Gosh, were we drunk. Making college softball a job is just too realistic for me.

Playing any college sport is a job , just ask anyone that has every done it

amandascarborough

where's the chocolate?
Jan 22, 2014
Everywhere, USA
I actually had the volume on and enjoyed listening to the commentary provided by Amanda S and Adam during tonight's ESPN televised Florida-Arkansas game. Don't know her prior experience, but AS was knowledgeable (undoubtedly gleaned it all from DFP :rolleyes:) and seemed remarkably comfortable and polished.

A big improvement over the typical garbage babble spouted by Michelle Smith et al. Hoping we get treated to the new blood during the WCWS.

Thank you, appreciate this comment greatly! Doing what we do may seem easy to most people out there, but it's really not. There are way more things going on during a production than anyone realizes. It's unlike anything else (sports included) because the way you practice is to do real games live on real TV. So thousands or a million people kind of get to hear you "grow up" over the air. It's different than practicing sports, as you can do that alone with no one watching until it becomes game time. We all become better at ANYTHING we do with more repetition and practice.

This comment means a lot to me, I work very hard at anything I do in life, and to read a comment like this makes me smile on the inside. Thank you.

Apr 14, 2014
Kansas City
Love it!! Keep up the good work!! I for one am glad that they now have knowledgeable people announcing the games that we love.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Thank you, appreciate this comment greatly! Doing what we do may seem easy to most people out there, but it's really not. There are way more things going on during a production than anyone realizes. It's unlike anything else (sports included) because the way you practice is to do real games live on real TV. So thousands or a million people kind of get to hear you "grow up" over the air. It's different than practicing sports, as you can do that alone with no one watching until it becomes game time. We all become better at ANYTHING we do with more repetition and practice.

This comment means a lot to me, I work very hard at anything I do in life, and to read a comment like this makes me smile on the inside. Thank you.

Credit given where credit due. Good luck and keep working hard at it!

PS - I know the 2B had a rough day in the field, but I was surprised that there wasn't at least a brief discussion about a routine groundball to 2B that was mis-handled AND then thrown away (allowing batter and other runner(s?) to advance another base) NOT being ruled a double error!

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
DD follows Amanda and considers her an inspiration ever since the clinic she and Calista Balko put on a few years ago in Friendswood. DD still wears the white shirt signed by both of them.

There is more to this story:
The exact details escape me, but this is what I remember. Amanda posted a blog a short while ago showing a letter where one of her parents? made her write down her goals in life when she was about 10. One of the things she wrote down was to be an ESPN announcer. Go figure.

Jul 10, 2012
Loved the announcing and and the analysis by Amanda, my DD loves her blog, but the earrings she was wearing did not go well with the headset she had to wear. I hope she gets a bunch of regional and WCWS games. It is nice to hear from someone who is closer to the game then the other ladies who are farther removed.

amandascarborough

where's the chocolate?
Jan 22, 2014
Everywhere, USA
Credit given where credit due. Good luck and keep working hard at it!

PS - I know the 2B had a rough day in the field, but I was surprised that there wasn't at least a brief discussion about a routine groundball to 2B that was mis-handled AND then thrown away (allowing batter and other runner(s?) to advance another base) NOT being ruled a double error!

Sorry! Just now seeing this, and now can't remember the play as it was hmm about 10 games ago I saw! Sounds like it should have been discussed better! We will get you next time!

The viewer has no idea, but the producer is in our ear telling us what graphic might come up next or a promo (which is when we promote another game after us), so sometimes we have to get those things in. But definitely will look for it next time and try to do a better job! Thanks of your input!

amandascarborough

where's the chocolate?
Jan 22, 2014
Everywhere, USA
Loved the announcing and and the analysis by Amanda, my DD loves her blog, but the earrings she was wearing did not go well with the headset she had to wear. I hope she gets a bunch of regional and WCWS games. It is nice to hear from someone who is closer to the game then the other ladies who are farther removed.

Good to hear she likes it! You are the first person to not like those earrings! I had about 10 texts from people saying they liked them! Never know about style and who likes what :) I liked them because of the color!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44