Fair or Foul?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Fair or foul: Pop fly hits the front edge of the pitching rubber and deflects out of the infield between home and 1B. Assuming this is not an infield fly sitch, I thought this would be a foul ball. Last night I posed this one and was told it would not be foul.

Oct 24, 2010
Fair or foul: Pop fly hits the front edge of the pitching rubber and deflects out of the infield between home and 1B. Assuming this is not an infield fly sitch, I thought this would be a foul ball. Last night I posed this one and was told it would not be foul.

The pitcher's plate is part of the field. If this fly ball hits the pitcher's plate, is not touched by a fielder in fair territory, passes the foul lines between home and first or home and third, and is touched or comes to rest in foul territory, it is a foul ball. An infield fly situation does not change that.

Dec 19, 2012
In this scenario, assuming the ball is never touched by a player after contact with the bat, it is a foul ball.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio

You were asking the wrong guy! :rolleyes:

I know that most times I've heard this confused it is because a batted ball hitting a base is fair. Some people think that you treat hitting the pitcher's plate the same as hitting a base. That is not correct.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
By rule and definition, an infield fly must be a fair batted ball. If the ball becomes foul for any reason, it's just a plain old foul ball. The batter would not be out for an infield fly...because it ain't one!

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
By rule and definition, an infield fly must be a fair batted ball. If the ball becomes foul for any reason, it's just a plain old foul ball. The batter would not be out for an infield fly...because it ain't one!
If the ball is batted fair (which is the case here). Ump calls infield fly, it's an out. Player does not make a play for the ball to catch it on the bounce. It rolls foul after contacting pitcher's plate. She's out.

I believe once he makes the call, the out is an out. The batted fly is a fair ball. It's only foul after contact and after IF ruled