Equipment technology - how quickly does it change?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
Some months ago, the woman at the local shop told me that people pay more for certain bats, because they'll 'last longer'. Personally, I simply couldn't justify paying $180 for a 7YO's bat when she seemed to do just fine with the $20 Easton from Sport Chalet. She's going to have a lot more reps this coming year, but with the way she swings it, I'm sure we'd both be happy with simply replacing the current bat with another $20 bat when the time comes.

And how do you know when a bat is 'dead' anyway?

BUT...I occasionally see new bats at drastically reduced prices, so assuming she's still playing then, would there be any harm at all in buying the bat(s) she will size into in the future while the prices are good right now?

Just reading around the forums, I'm amazed at the prices some of you pay for bats for girls who aren't even 9YO yet.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I don't believe a girl should get a decent bat ($75 plus) until she is over the age of ten and can actually hit well. At the younger age levels, it doesn't make much sense to have them. I don't see that big of a difference.

It is easy to say that when your DD is 13 or 14 you won't spend $300 for the latest and greatest, but just wait until the time comes.

May 25, 2010
Thanks, Amanda. Although I expect my DD to keep tabs on her equipment, I know how distracted kids can get, and I'd much rather she lose a bag with $95 worth of equipment than one with $1000 worth of gear in it.

I'm actually more concerned about her losing her glove than her bat, though. She loves that thing...wants to play with it until she goes off to college. lol

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
My dd was 8 when she graduated from the $13 purple walmart special to a closeout
Dimarini aluminum double walled for $60. She used this one until she was 11. Now we
are in the "one bat per year club" she is using an Easton Kiwi green (not my favorite)
but is batting .500 with it.

To answer your original question Equipment technology - how quickly does it change?
it has changed since you made your original post

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
And how do you know when a bat is 'dead' anyway?

It's dead when a) it doesn't have the pop that it used to; or, b) when DD thinks it doesn't have any hits left in it. Either way, rightly or wrongly, hitting will suffer until its replaced. In the first case, relegate the bat to BP use only. In the latter case, give it to another player who might be able to rescuscitate it and bring it back to life.

GM

GM

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Thanks, Amanda. Although I expect my DD to keep tabs on her equipment, I know how distracted kids can get, and I'd much rather she lose a bag with $95 worth of equipment than one with $1000 worth of gear in it.

I'm actually more concerned about her losing her glove than her bat, though. She loves that thing...wants to play with it until she goes off to college. lol
I can't say that we really have that issue around here, because we leave tons of stuff lying around and doors unlocked frequently. But this is a rural area and nothing bad happens here, of course.

If I lost anything, I'd be highly upset. If the house catches on fire, that bag is coming out with me!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan