Another bat size post

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
I have different opinion than most on this thread. The quality, length of a bat can make all the difference. Wrong size bats can cause mechanics to break down. Crappy bats can cause issues with confidence, while a good quality bat can give the hitter confidence when they see the results. I also played ball when I was younger and we had a team bat. Some hitters were bigger than others and generally speaking they mashed the ball with our oversize bat. Smaller kids struggled. It could be that all the bigger kids were better athletes or the bat was too big for smaller kids.

When my DD was 11 she was swinging a old worth bat, 31/19. She hit the ball very hard with that bat and had a lot of success. That bat was got a crack and we had to get a new bat. We picked up a Mako 31/21 and Worth Legit 31/21.. she struggled for half of the year with those bats. The only thing that changed was the size of the bat, I was never crazy about the Mako, but the Legit(orange version) was a hot bat, but my DD wasn't squaring anything up. I was told by several people on here and elsewhere, including her coach that it's the Indian and not the arrow. I bought into that for quite sometime and my DD went from being the number 3/4 hitter to the bottom of the line up. Championships were around the corner and I had enough of seeing her struggle with a bat that I felt all along was not right for her. We picked up a 31/20 CF8 and she started hitting bombs. Coach looked at me and said you were right. She had more control with the lighter bat, which enabled her to square more balls up.

So bats do make a difference, get one that makes sense for your DD. BTW, My DD was a little bigger than yours in her first year 12u.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
I have different opinion than most on this thread. The quality, length of a bat can make all the difference. Wrong size bats can cause mechanics to break down. Crappy bats can cause issues with confidence, while a good quality bat can give the hitter confidence when they see the results. I also played ball when I was younger and we had a team bat. Some hitters were bigger than others and generally speaking they mashed the ball with our oversize bat. Smaller kids struggled. It could be that all the bigger kids were better athletes or the bat was too big for smaller kids.

When my DD was 11 she was swinging a old worth bat, 31/19. She hit the ball very hard with that bat and had a lot of success. That bat was got a crack and we had to get a new bat. We picked up a Mako 31/21 and Worth Legit 31/21.. she struggled for half of the year with those bats. The only thing that changed was the size of the bat, I was never crazy about the Mako, but the Legit(orange version) was a hot bat, but my DD wasn't squaring anything up. I was told by several people on here and elsewhere, including her coach that it's the Indian and not the arrow. I bought into that for quite sometime and my DD went from being the number 3/4 hitter to the bottom of the line up. Championships were around the corner and I had enough of seeing her struggle with a bat that I felt all along was not right for her. We picked up a 31/20 CF8 and she started hitting bombs. Coach looked at me and said you were right. She had more control with the lighter bat, which enabled her to square more balls up.

So bats do make a difference, get one that makes sense for your DD. BTW, My DD was a little bigger than yours in her first year 12u.
I bought my daughter that same exact DeMarini CF8 about a year ago and after the first time she hit with it I apologized to her for not buying her a nicer bat sooner.

May 12, 2016
I bought my daughter that same exact DeMarini CF8 about a year ago and after the first time she hit with it I apologized to her for not buying her a nicer bat sooner.
You are very lucky to even find one of those.. happy she has an excellent bat. My DD made some good memories with that one :)

Sep 19, 2018
Find a place with a cage and bats to swing. Watch how she swings with the different size bats. Then go from there.

Last season first year 10U, my dd (4'6'' 90lbs was swinging a 28/17 CF). At the end of last season, when the bat sales hit I got a 30/19 CF for this year. She wanted to use it and she was a different hitter for the worse. The bat was just too big. You could see a HUGE difference in bat speed a lack of control. It was easy to see the difference. A year later, she is not quite 4'8'' and 95lbs but she has no problem swinging that bat.

Mar 15, 2019
California
I've searched the forums and read most posts about proper bat size, but I am still struggling with what to go with for my daughter! She is about 5', 105lbs, first season 12u. For most of machine pitch and 10u, she used a 30/20 Vendetta. She is 4 hole solid hitter. When she began struggling recently, mostly hitting dribblers, I assumed her bat was dead. We then purchased (and subsequently sold) a 31/21 CF. Same results. Tried a teammate's bat for a couple weekends, 29/18 Demarini, and she starts smashing the ball again. The smaller bat yielded the results we wanted, especially for nationals, but I know it's too small. She's in hitting lessons. How do you balance results while in the process of fixing mechanics? I'm leaning towards purchasing a 31/20 this time around. Because a 30/19 is still too small, right?? Her hitting coach says she would really like her to be swinging a 32/22, but I don't see that working at all. Help!
An appropriate size bat does help, then you can focus on the mechanics. Based on your DD's size, a 31" would appear to be a good fit. You'll just have to decide on a drop 11 or 10 based on what feels right. She should be able to handle a drop 10 if a bat is balanced and light swinging.

The Demarini CF-XD is a drop 10 but feels like a drop 11 due to its longer barrel. They are heavily discounted at HQ4Sports.com if interested. Some folks are thrown off by the adjustable knob, but it's still a solid Demarini bat.

Rawlings Quatro Pros are also true to weight, just need some time to break in and loosen up. Louisville LXT and Mizuno Carbon 1 and Power Carbon all feel about the same and are light swinging, especially the new F21 Mizunos.

Hope this info helps. The Bat Weight Database on this site can also provide insights into stamped vs. actual bat weight.

Attachments

• bat-chart-300x248.jpg
    bat-chart-300x248.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Fastpitch-Swing-Weights-1.jpg
    Fastpitch-Swing-Weights-1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019
I've searched the forums and read most posts about proper bat size, but I am still struggling with what to go with for my daughter! She is about 5', 105lbs, first season 12u. For most of machine pitch and 10u, she used a 30/20 Vendetta. She is 4 hole solid hitter. When she began struggling recently, mostly hitting dribblers, I assumed her bat was dead. We then purchased (and subsequently sold) a 31/21 CF. Same results. Tried a teammate's bat for a couple weekends, 29/18 Demarini, and she starts smashing the ball again. The smaller bat yielded the results we wanted, especially for nationals, but I know it's too small. She's in hitting lessons. How do you balance results while in the process of fixing mechanics? I'm leaning towards purchasing a 31/20 this time around. Because a 30/19 is still too small, right?? Her hitting coach says she would really like her to be swinging a 32/22, but I don't see that working at all. Help!
Hi- I would go with 31” 20 in either an LXT, Prism or CF.
These bats are well balanced and swing lighter than most other bats. They all have BIG sweet spots and are top shelf bats.
Whichever bat you can get the best deal on is the one I would go with. LXT would be my 1st choice all things being equal.

May 16, 2016
Bat weight/length definitely plays a part. You can be too long or too short, too heavy or too light.

11 years old, 5 foot, 105 lbs, i'd be looking at 30 to 31 length, and drop 11 or 10. My DD moved up to a 32" first year of 12u, but she was 5'4"+ and 30 lbs heavier. Initially we used a Demarini 32" drop 11, and her hitting dropped of dramatically. I decided the bat was too light, and she was over-swinging, and we changed to a 32" drop 10 Xeno, probably 2+ oz heavier than the Demarini, and she started hitting bombs again.

You instructor wanting her to "Swing a 32/10" is like "wanting" to wear a size 10 shoe, when her foot is size 7.

Bats, like any piece of equipment should fit the player.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12