Dumb newbie question - Catchers Gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2023
If a chest protector has one shoulder protector, does it typically protect the shoulder of the glove hand or the throwing hand?

Feb 14, 2023
Thats more a baseball thing. Most softball gear does not have that. In baseball its on the throwing arm
Ok thanks for the reply. I have seen it on both and always thought it was throwing arm. I guess it could be useful on the catching arm in case a foul ball conveniently makes its way towards your catching shoulder.

May 29, 2015
As a former baseball catcher, no. You want as much protection as you can get, but you don’t want something interfering with your throw.

Wear it on both sides, wear it on one side, or don’t wear it at all. It is all just your preference. There is no “real” answer, despite numerous theories.

The only truly correct answer is that a manufacturer who only gives you one is just being cheap and trying to make an extra nickel. A proper protector should come with all the pieces.

May 20, 2015
That's not entirely true. Jen Schro, Paige Halstead, and Rawlings Renegade sets all come with the extra shoulder flap. Under Armour and Mizuno are the ones who build it in on both sides or include both flaps.

Force 3 has removable flaps on both sides.....DD2 removed both immediately lol

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I have seen flaps on both sides, throwing arm side and glove side. Personal preference I guess. I personally prefer glove side.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach