Dugouts Required ??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2008
I have been working on our local softball diamonds tryign to get them basically renovated as they haven't received much for attention for years, just basically would be dragged before games and thats about it. Somebody suggested they would like to see dugouts added as we dont have any now and they said they would be required if we wanted to have any tournaments to help raise money. Our high school uses the diamonds now as well as a summer rec league. Dugouts aren't required for high school, even state tournament games, nor are they required for rec league games. My question is, Are they required for anything sanctioned, such as ASA or Babe Ruth games?
I wouldnt be against eventually havign them, however this diamond is situated where there is no room for anything on the entire 3rd base side.

Jun 22, 2008
No mention in the ASA rule book about dugouts. Illustration of legal fields and dimensions doesnt even show them.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Could you have misunderstood? I could see saying "You are going to need dugouts, for good teams to come. They have to get out of the sun."

Where do the teams sit, now? And do the baseball fields have dugouts?

Jul 19, 2008
Right now there is a bench on the 3rd base side and the bottom row of bleachers on the 3rd base side. The baseball field by the high school does have nice dugouts and recently got new bleachers and lighting. When our high school got softball as a sport, we did not have a field, so we used the diamond owned by the city. I would be open to getting some sort of dugouts if there was room to do it, but there just is no room where this diamond is, as it is at the bottom of a hill and there is concrete between the bleachers and fence. Maybe we could do some sort of temporary dugout if need be. We never had any sort of tournament here before and now am trying to get the diamond upgraded and possibly start having a tournament or 2, just to help raise money.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
OK. Maybe you could hang a tarp or use a pop up tent for shade, even if it is away from the bench.

Are you only going to be using one diamond?

If the other teams around you have similar facilities, they won't care.

Jun 22, 2008
Is there any way you could shift the entire field 5-6' up the 1st base line? This would give you room along the 3rd base line to put in a dugout.

Feb 8, 2009
Is there any chance you can round up the organizations who use the field to work together to build shelters ? Maybe there is a welder or carpenter in the programs willing to donate time.

Jul 19, 2008
It isnt a matter of building them, the problem is, there just is no room for anything, especially on the 3rd base side. If we had room, I think we could do it easy enough. This diamond is just in a poor spot for doing to much. I think the only way anythign can be done is if we can come up with a removeable structure that we could use to at least keep the girls out of the hot sun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd