Drills to help prevent fielder from pulling her head off the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 30, 2020
Got accused of not teaching a middle infielder how to keep from pulling her head off the ball. Despite the blatant lack of facts behind this claim, I am still willing to do what it takes to teach her how and so I’m asking for suggestions.

What are some of the drills or other training that works to break this habit? She says she’s not afraid of getting hit, but that’s exactly what it looks like to me.

Apr 9, 2020
a mask might not be the answer here to avoid pulling out the head but it is a wise investment if she continues to play, there is no end game in softball and being witness to some of these frightening injuries over the years sustained on the field and off the field as my brother is a plastic surgeon it is piece of mind as a parent that your child will have both eyes and all her teeth when finished with career ( also helpful with playing on some less then appropriate fields and practice fields')

drills are work small and slow , start with just on knees and rolling to her , then short hops to her while on knees , progress to harder and more distance, you can start to use a jugs machine to give short hops at slower speeds, build confidence over time. you can then utilize softer clinchers and start hitting them to her , if inside you can use mini cones and roll over them to give random bounces even use tennis balls if need be. as she progresses and feels more secure in her ability venture out to more and more aggressive hitting... one of my daughters coaches would put drum sticks in the dirt randomly and hit to her...

we also utilized a heart guard playing infield and mostly third base..

best of luck and take it slow and good things will come for her

Jun 8, 2016
drills are work small and slow , start with just on knees and rolling to her , then short hops to her while on knees , progress to harder and more distance, you can start to use a jugs machine to give short hops at slower speeds, build confidence over time. you can then utilize softer clinchers and start hitting them to her , if inside you can use mini cones and roll over them to give random bounces even use tennis balls if need be. as she progresses and feels more secure in her ability venture out to more and more aggressive hitting... one of my daughters coaches would put drum sticks in the dirt randomly and hit to her...
✅
On all of these drills emphasize being able to see both glove and ball when you are fielding the ball , burying your eyes and for the drills not on your knees, having a flat back.

See the fielding drills posted by Antonelli on YouTube and Trosky on Twitter.

Sep 19, 2018
Drills with you rolling the ball to the fielders. It allows the girls to really focus on form. LOTS of reps that way. My first though was that drills with Tennis balls would prove the fear thing.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
My 14 year old granddaughter has been able to relate to this kid and her drills. Lots of YouTube videos.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Disclaimer i luv glovework

Like this repetitive training on glove work and controling the ball thru transition.
👉At the end of the video @ 4:25 seconds is a great defensive drill like to call
'Trust our glove'
(people may call it something else)
it is basically throwing ourself our own short Hops and Fielding them.
This is great stuff and has amazed coaches, parents, players seeing development within minutes before their eyes.
* by dedicating time to a technical skill !
Because players become familiar with the tool on their hand, their brain understands the connection between it, they can get more comfortable when grounders start flying.

To learn trust our glove~
Athletic position staying down.
(body stays down no popping up each time with the ball.)
Start with glove down.
Making the cave.
Roll ball into glove with throwing hand.
Hand follows ball into glove.
Grab ball & bring up to transition at the knee.
Make sure to bring shoulders up when transitioning.
Glove goes straight down again.
Repeat.
As we get comfortable rolling the ball into our glove~ start throwing our own small short Hops.
Into dirt in front of glove.
Eventually can challenge ourself fielding our own shorthops.
Harder
Quicker
Faster.

Sets of 10,20, 30, 40, 50.
In place.
Can also do in motion.
As we advance and get really good with efficiency and quickness can produce
70 transitions in one minute.
* if you'd like to take the Turbo Challenge!!!
Can do 70 transitions per set in a minute.
X 3 minutes a day and whip out over 75,000 transitions in a year on your own!
RAD!!! = Ready And Durable !!!

Super duper like these type drills because the entire team can get massive amounts of reps all at the same time and it only takes a few minutes.
Great drill/SKILL right before a game when everybody has to get going!

Enjoy

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am an idiot post.

One hitting drill is to mark the ball in some way. A number stripes, wherever. The batter needs to tell you what was unique about that specific ball.

I think that would translate to fielding, never have tried it through.

Jun 27, 2021
Got accused of not teaching a middle infielder how to keep from pulling her head off the ball. Despite the blatant lack of facts behind this claim, I am still willing to do what it takes to teach her how and so I’m asking for suggestions.

What are some of the drills or other training that works to break this habit? She says she’s not afraid of getting hit, but that’s exactly what it looks like to me.
Slow rollers and repetitions. Work on rounding the ball and playing through the ball. Move to slow/soft hits off the bat. If after slowing it down she has fears or fears creep up in games it may be time to look at another position.

My kids also incorporated flat pad gloves in our slow roller work but not sure this is ideal at first

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad