drawings of catchers giving signs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm putting together a playbook for my 10U team and was wondering if anyone can point me to some black and white drawings of catchers giving signs.

Something simple showing the front of the catcher as viewed from the pitcher displaying 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 fingers and a fist is what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Sep 3, 2009
Are you wanting to know how they should be setup in their sign giving stance and giving a sign? Shouldn't need pics for that. Sorry, i couldn't find any drawings, but found a few pics.
This pic is a good example of a bad sign giving stance, knees too low, glove down by the ankles, knees too far apart. Though this boy does have his sign hand placed pretty good. Far back up against the crotch, and not showing down below the bottom of his thighs.
signs_alta.jpg

This is only a side shot, but the stance is good. Up on the balls of the feet, and the glove arm is resting on the thigh, with the mitt right back by the knee. The sign giving arm should be resting on the other thigh, and only the fingers will move. You wanna make sure they aren't moving their arm to one side or the other, indicating inside or outside. The knees should only be about two fist's width apart.
hoover_paul_2008_multiad_21.jpg

As far as the signs themselves, that's really up to you. Every team my dd has been on, has had their own signs and she groans at having to learn new signs, but gets them after a week or two. Hopefully that's what you were looking for. Coach Weaver has a good page on this... http://www.catchingcamp.com/online-camp/signs/

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
No. This probably seems silly especially for the older kids, but I find that with the younger ones even when they say they understand something, they really don't. I called for a change up last fall on 0-2 and instead my pitcher threw a waist high fastball down the middle that got crushed. This is so I can hand out a book with all our plays and signs illustrated. Example: catcher displaying two fingers = change up. A black and white drawing would be much more useful than a photo. Thanks.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If that's your objective, why don't you simply recruit your household resident artist to draw pictures of an upside down hand w/ the appropriate number of fingers pointing down to the ground. Despite the hand not being attached to a catcher, I can't imagine that they'd confuse those signs with any others, although...

Sounds like you've got a fun team - enjoy!

Jul 28, 2008
I'm putting together a playbook for my 10U team and was wondering if anyone can point me to some black and white drawings of catchers giving signs.

Something simple showing the front of the catcher as viewed from the pitcher displaying 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 fingers and a fist is what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

6 signs? How many pitches do you have to choose from with a 10U pitcher?

Oct 19, 2009
My catchers flash two signs. The first is the pitch itself: fastball, change up, peel drop, knuckle. The second is for location: down and in, down and out, up and in, up and out, groove it, pitch out. Got a talented corp of travel players who get it. Just trying to eliminate miscommunication.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish