Dilemma - "injured" player actually picking up with another team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
One scenario is that the pitcher is getting better you HC was actually aware she was guesting. I have done this with some of my pitchers when they need work. If we are off that weekend and with a showcase approaching they may go throw 2 - 3 games on the weekend just to get the reps. I have even accompanied some of my players to guest play to work with them during the games.

Jun 12, 2015
The softball world is small, and he will probably find out regardless. Maybe about your DD playing as well. From the perspective of the coach's wife, I can tell you my DH would be pretty unhappy if he found out our parents were sneaking around to go play with other teams.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Lying about an injury and then playing pickup is a much bigger deal in my book.

i agree. I also agree about saying nothing to the coach, but maybe the dad. On the Q.T. You might ask him if the coach is cool with the guesting because youre doing it occasionally too.

Its important for the coach to be able to trust his families and not feel betrayed. It also sets a bad example for the player. Ok if its above board, its the lying part thats the problem. unless of course, the coach is aware and just telling the team shes hurt so they dont all start thinking shes getting special treatment or that they might also start looking elsewhere for guesting opportunities..

Feb 17, 2014
So, you guest played when your HC doesn't like it and you're thinking you should tell on another player that did the same thing?

Just providing another point of view.

I would just stay out of it. I don't want people worried about what I'm doing, so I'm not going to worry about them. These days it seems like people spend more time worrying about what everyone else is doing when they should just focus on themselves.

May 20, 2015
is it possible the HC knows the pitcher is guesting, knows he needs the pitching and that they have him over a barrel, and is telling the rest of the team she is injured just to save face?

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
I agree with those that said leave it be. You don't need the drama. I'm honestly surprised the father would do that with his kid, knowing that someone there would see her and know she plays for team xyz. It will get back to the coach one way or another. Instead of tossing and turning on it, just let it go and forget about it.
We had a kid's dad tell us they were "out of town" so she could not be at a tournament. Well I guess he was technically telling the truth because she was in another city playing for another team. Nobody would have known but she wore our team batting helmet while playing for the other team and someone who was watching called our head coach because he saw the helmet.

I thought it was kind of funny. That dad needs some training in covert operations!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
There is quite a diff in guest playing when your coach just doesn't like it, and playing for another team when you are claiming you
are "hurt", but cant practice or play for your regular team. AND she did go back and practice with her team even when she guest played.
Im sorry, nobody would tell me that when I have nothing going on, that I cant go play somewhere...as long as my loyalty stays where it belongs.

If you are claiming "hurt" but going to play elsewhere...but cant play or practice for your regular team, you are letting down every teammate
you committed to.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If DD is a pitcher, I am not saying a thing.

I am not worried about playing in games and not practicing.

If she is going to other teams tourney instead of ours, I am telling.

Aug 13, 2017
Lots of funny stuff stuff here. I find the whole guest playing stuff shady for the most part. It is absolutely different when you are short players and picking up players to be able to play with their coach's permission. Totally different when you have plenty of players to play and do it because....you are trying out a player to see if you want them on your team. Let's be real...that is what it is.

Who's responsibility is it to make sure the regual Head Coach is on board with his players guest playing on a team? I would think it a professional courtesy in the very absolute least that if you want to borrow a player...you contact Head Coach of that team and ask if it is ok. If the player comes to you...same deal...you contact the other coach. Just because "everyone" does it doesn't make it right.

The better question is why is this allowed? Doesn't happen in Baseball at club level does it. Happens in Soccer, but there is a whole lot of hoops to jump through...at it is not possible to do without your coach's permission.

Why is softballl this way?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00