DD wants to get a job

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
She has shown interest in getting a job to make her own money...she is 17 yo, but has not tried to get one due to timing issues. So with that said, what kind of job caters to a SB player's schedule?? School, lessons, practice, SAC training, etc. Oh and lets not forget she has to have weekends off and take a couple weeks off in summer for tournaments. AND she has to factor in time for taking online college courses over the summer. Should be interesting when she starts putting this down on applications. But am I wrong in thinking that there are plenty of part time jobs that are flexible for HS students?? Add to that, DH doesn't want her in a job that involves cash exchange (overprotective much? LOL). We are not against it because we want her to see for herself how hard earned money burns fast. ;)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If she is eventually going to play college ball, then her job is to go to school and play ball. Plenty of time to get job experience later. IME having a summer job and playing ball at a high level does not work very well.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
If she is eventually going to play college ball, then her job is to go to school and play ball. Plenty of time to get job experience later. IME having a summer job and playing ball at a high level does not work very well.

That is actually what I have said all along but apparently she doesn't agree with our budget for her (for eating out, spending time with friends, shopping), so she wants to make her own money. We are going to let her live and learn on this one.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have DD helping me with private catching lessons, catching clinics, etc. etc. I take $5 for gas driving us down and she keeps the rest after paying for the facility. It's worked out well since it fits her schedule and the kids love her. Between school ball, homework, tutoring at the MS, concert choir, TB and every other pie she has a finger in, there's not a place in their right mind that would hire her with the time constraints she has.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I think the cut off for doing the class has past. I don't even know where to look for that. She would love that.

Rec leagues, summer camps, 8U tournaments.

Easiest way to find out is to ask the umpire you consider the best around. That is normally the person who knows the best path in (and often will mentor her if you ask).

Even doing cheaper rate private softball lessons is an option. Teaching the basics to the 10U/12U girls is a good experience as well and you can set your own schedule.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Waiting tables is a fairly standard job for people who need flexibility in their schedules. That's why aspiring actors and musicians do it. You just have to find the right place that is looking for someone who can fill in holes in the schedule rather than being counted on to be there regularly. I've had players who did that. They explained their situation and the owner or manager was able to accommodate them.

Look for restaurants that sponsor local teams/events. They should already be somewhat sympathetic to athletes. Independent restaurants with local ownership tend to be more flexible than chains or franchises.

For the summer, park districts or summer camps might work. Lifeguarding (assuming she has the requisite skills) might work too, although spending the day in the sun and then playing games probably isn't a good idea.

The good thing about working crappy jobs is it provides incentive to stay in school rather than having to do that for the rest of your life. Summers spent working in a factory made me realize no matter how tough school got, it was worth staying in.

Feb 15, 2016
DD1 coached rec ball for the local park during the summer and made pretty good money. DD2 is currently working washing dishes at a restaurant. The pay is really good but the schedule might be tough once summer comes along. She worked last summer for the public works department at a nearby city as a seasonal employee. She painted things, weeded gardens, emptied the trash cans at the parks, etc... It was all weekdays during the day so it fit well with softball. They were flexible since she was part-time so if she had to take a few days off for an out of town tourney it was no problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13