Daughter getting sick almost every tournament weekend.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2018
Recently my 13-year-old catcher is getting sick/nauseous every tournament weekend. We're keeping her well-hydrated in our Mississippi heat, but even on cooler days, she has issues. It comes and goes throughout the day, but starts early in the morning on the drive to the game. If you even mention food she starts gagging. I'm leaning towards this is nerves and mental, but I'm not sure. We usually try to get her to eat some fruit or at least a pickle, and sometimes she'll go for a sandwich but no matter what she eats it almost always comes back up.

Any suggestions on steps we can take to figure out exactly what this could be and how to handle it? She's the catcher they throw in when the going gets tough and I know that can make it hard on a coach to be down a catcher when she's needed. She still pushes through, but there's usually vomit somewhere before the game is over (luckily not behind the plate yet though).

I do think it could be mental or possibly the lack of food staying in her or a combination of both. Not sure who to ask so I though maybe someone here had dealt with this before. Thanks in advance.

Aug 5, 2022
Make sure she’s hydrating and fueling the day before the tournament when the nerves aren’t as bad. Try having her eat something with protein instead of just straight carbs like the fruit and the pickle so it will hang around longer without having to eat as much. A protein smoothie will work if she’s not a big eater in the morning. Does this happen during other non competitive activities in the heat like just out for a run etc that may help you determine the mental side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Doesn't seem like anyone is having fun here. Food and hydration well before the ballpark, and then lots of hydration during. Stay away from acidic/fatty/overly sugary foods between games. From the description, there does appear to be a mental component that needs investigation. Have you tried asking her about it? It's only happening on game day...not during practice?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I would say it's probably nerves. Golfer Bobby Jones and center Bill Russell were known to throw up before high stakes competitions. Addressing the issue is complicated, talking to her about how it's 'just softball' might help. Putting in some ear buds and listening to her favorite music on the drive is another thing to consider. When I was playing competitive golf I had a simple breath meditation that I used on the drive in and on the practice tee. I focused on the air as it came in through my nose, and let the air out through my mouth, but I would connect the out going breath with the sensations in my stomach, essentially breathing out the nervousness.

Jan 20, 2023
It might be worth getting her esophagus checked out. Especially if this happens at other times and it impact swallowing.

I’m not a doctor- but my mom had this and it created a lot of vomiting often in stressful situations.

May 29, 2015
Recently my 13-year-old catcher is getting sick/nauseous every tournament weekend. We're keeping her well-hydrated in our Mississippi heat, but even on cooler days, she has issues. It comes and goes throughout the day, but starts early in the morning on the drive to the game.

Make sure she’s hydrating and fueling the day before the tournament when the nerves aren’t as bad.

Doesn't seem like anyone is having fun here. Food and hydration well before the ballpark, and then lots of hydration during. Stay away from acidic/fatty/overly sugary foods between games.

Granted, I was not born and bred in the Mississippi and Louisiana heat and humidity, but I spent two years down there umpiring. One thing I quickly learned was that the day before was not adequate to begin physically preparing for a long weekend tournament. Normally, I would say that works, but I found I had to start my food and water preparation 2 - 3 days before.

On game days, I would eat small amounts between every game (rotating a few crackers and some turkey; a granola bar; or fruit). I tried not to drink a little, but not too much during the game. I preferred to make sure I drank a Body Armor Lyte* or water with Liquid IV** between games. As the day wore on, I did need some caffeine and would have a soda for sugar and caffeine (I don't recommend that, but it was part of my routine).

You mention "even on cooler days," but that is a relative term down there! ? Another thing I learned was that it wasn't just the heat and the humidity -- the sun itself can be brutal (especially on turf) on "cooler" days. (I started wearing those pull on sleeves and have mentioned to a manufacturer that there is a market for sun-shirts in umpiring.)

All that said, I would consult your pediatrician. It sounds like nerves, but there may be something more at play here. I wouldn't continue to just chance it with the way the weather can get down there. Things like heat-stroke, concussions, and sunburns can be dismissed as a short-term affliction that goes away, but they do have long-lasting affects on our overall health.

*Body Armor LYTE . . . not the new "Zero" stuff. I really like the Lyte because it is coconut water based. The new Zero line is flavored "sugar" water, but substituting stevia for sugar. I am not a fan of this new line at all.

**I know Liquid IVs do have sugar in them. I do not recommend the suggested "one pack to one 16 oz. bottle of water" though. I actually prefer to add one pack to my entire water jug (64 oz./half gallon).

Apr 25, 2019
It may not be related but it's something I wanted to throw out there as well. My DD was getting headaches and such, and no amount of water and electrolytes was helping. It turned out it was her sinuses. The dust and such at the field would inflame them so bad that it was limiting her air intake. We started taking some Claritin and Flonase and it helped a lot. It might not account for the nausea but it may be something to look at.

Jun 11, 2012
Make sure she’s not just drinking electrolytes. Mix in some plain water also. The sugar/fake sugar can cause stomach aches if she’s drinking it on an empty stomach so either switch between the two or water down the electrolyte drinks.
Mint gum or candy can help with nausea also.
I agree with the others to try and make sure she eats some kind of protein between games. A handful of nuts or a few pieces of cheese are good options

May 7, 2018
Thanks for all of your input on this. After talking with my wife and daughter, it does seem that she also has a bad gag reflex recently even when she's not playing. I think we will look into this and possible sinus issues. I had not thought about that, but it's a start. We're also going to work on her foods/drinks a little better coming up to and on tournament weekends. I really appreciate you all taking the time out to help us find a starting point for this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl