Cues after toe touch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
MTS -

surface appearance is more variable than under the hood sequence.

under the hood relates more directly to consistent feel/sequencing of pattern.

if you emphasize the opposite, drop front heel then lift back, you are "pushing while blocking" (Yeager flaw description). This prevents early batspeed/HLBB pattern

Tom ... Doc/Yeager considers it important to finish the push from the backside BEFORE the lead leg blocks. In his description established major leaguers end their push to the front side by allowing the back half of the back foot to come off the ground before the front foot is completely down.

Oct 25, 2009
How can you keep the front heel from planting once the force from the rear side occurs? The weight on the front foot would be greater on the outside edge of the front foot.

It seems that all of this would happen so simultaneously quick that there wouldn't be a thought of separate mechanics.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
FFS said "Tom ... Doc/Yeager considers it important to finish the push from the backside BEFORE the lead leg blocks. In his description established major leaguers end their push to the front side by allowing the back half of the back foot to come off the ground before the front foot is completely down."

which is why back heel starts up before front heel gets down. and there are other reason's beyond this for de-emphasizing front foot so you don;t get to the front side early with late batspeed and loss of adjustability/read time.

Fielder footwork curve vs heater:

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j399/baseballgifs/Fielder/Fielder_front_combo.gif

Fielder hands staying back:

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j399/baseballgifs/Fielder/Fielder_hands_rear.gif

It's all about balance around the rear hip, keeping/gettingn hands/bat BEHIND (rear hip coils/IR's) and hips (pelvis) OPEN (while rear hip remains coiled/in IR).

Same in overhand throw.

Last edited:
R

RayR

When we work from front heel plant - back heel is not bearing most of the weight - it is either the back heel slightly lifted (cheat position) or the cue is to have the heel off the bottom of their cleat/shoe but the cleat/shoe heel is still in contact with the ground....

Get the front heel down and lift the back heel off your shoe without having the bottom of the shoe heel leave the ground....what part of the back foot is weighted? How would you learn to push off from this position? How would you ratio your weight from front to back?

Just because the bottom of the rear shoe is contacting the ground does not mean weight is not being transferred....if there is spin on the back foot - then it usually means weight has not been transferred efficiently....

MTS -

if you emphasize the opposite, drop front heel then lift back, you are "pushing while blocking" (Yeager flaw description). This prevents early batspeed/HLBB pattern

R

RayR

Exactly Tom - he is not leaving his back heel too early (planting the front heel by lifting the back heel) this allows him to read....and adjust....but under the hood his weight is transferring....

Fielder_front_combo.gif

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
phreak speculated: "It seems that all of this would happen so simultaneously quick that there wouldn't be a thought of separate mechanics"

I would prefer just the rear hip/leg/foot as opposed to front heel down/back heel up which is why the original thread I linked questions the usefulness of front foot/heel cues/emphasis.

if you do want the front/back heel action, why simultaneous vs a given sequence ? Does the sequence not matter ?

Oct 25, 2009
phreak speculated: "It seems that all of this would happen so simultaneously quick that there wouldn't be a thought of separate mechanics"

I would prefer just the rear hip/leg/foot as opposed to front heel down/back heel up which is why the original thread I linked questions the usefulness of front foot/heel cues/emphasis.

if you do want the front/back heel action, why simultaneous vs a given sequence ? Does the sequence not matter ?

You're right, the sequence is what natters. The sequence starts from the back side. But the front heel won't be up at the same time the rear heel is up.

Oct 14, 2008
MTS -

Am I to understand your statement that bat speed is slowed with drop front heel then raise back heel? What is the difference in your opinion of early bat speed compared to bat speed in general. Thanks

Tim

R

RayR

C'mon - Pujols and Prince in the AL now joining AGon who bolted the NL last year....jeez outside of Philly are there any hitters left in the NL?

Im just glad his nonsense is now in the AL. Let their pitchers put up with his nonsense for a while.

Tim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl