College has some

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Got any info on cal-poly? My daughter has a friend going there who loves it (not a softball player) so it’s on her list. (She’s only in 8th grade- so just an idea at this point)
DD is a catcher and one of the other catchers on her team is going to SLO next year.. She's pretty darn good. That team seems to be punching above their weight this year, indicating that the program is on the rise.

I love cal-poly and would think it is a great school for academics and athletics.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD is a catcher and one of the other catchers on her team is going to SLO next year.. She's pretty darn good. That team seems to be punching above their weight this year, indicating that the program is on the rise.

I love cal-poly and would think it is a great school for academics and athletics.
DD's boyfriend went to Cal Poly his freshman year. He said it wasn't for him. Now working at Baker Hughes-Mechanical Engineer graduate from UTD.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The best Texas players don't stay in state either. Some of the Texas mid majors are fairly mediocre too. I often wonder why some of the mid majors passed on some really solid players and wonder why they aren't very good.

1710363280689.png

Nov 9, 2021
The best Texas players don't stay in state either. Some of the Texas mid majors are fairly mediocre too. I often wonder why some of the mid majors passed on some really solid players and wonder why they aren't very good.

View attachment 29499

I have always wondered why many schools don’t take a more regional approach to recruiting. Seems they often go across the country when it wouldn’t be hard to find a comparable kid a few hours away.

Now I do know one successful college coach in Florida told the head of our organization he preferred kids from out of the area. If he had a choice between equal talents he would take the one from further away. He didn’t want to deal with parents that could hover over the program by being too close all the time. I am starting to wonder if more coaches don’t think like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 14, 2019
I have always wondered why many schools don’t take a more regional approach to recruiting. Seems they often go across the country when it wouldn’t be hard to find a comparable kid a few hours away.

Now I do know one successful college coach in Florida told the head of our organization he preferred kids from out of the area. If he had a choice between equal talents he would take the one from further away. He didn’t want to deal with parents that could hover over the program by being too close all the time. I am starting to wonder if more coaches don’t think like that.

UCF has 9 players from California.

May 13, 2023

Now I do know one successful college coach in Florida told the head of our organization he preferred kids from out of the area. If he had a choice between equal talents he would take the one from further away.

He didn’t want to deal with parents that could hover over the program by being too close all the time. I am starting to wonder if more coaches don’t think like that.
That definitely could be a shared perspective by other coaches and included in their strategic plans.

Also think on the opposite end of that strategy...
that there are some coaches that their perspective is to only recruit players that are from areas/states that have similar mindset as their own. In that way might exclude recruiting players that might be from a different social perspective area of the country.

Either of those perspectives may be completely close-minded wrong thinking as it of may Overlook individual athletes and what an individual athlete can bring. Regardless of where they are from.
( or their parents)

Nov 9, 2021
That definitely could be a shared perspective by other coaches and included in their strategic plans.

Also think on the opposite end of that strategy...
that there are some coaches that their perspective is to only recruit players that are from areas/states that have similar mindset as their own. In that way might exclude recruiting players that might be from a different social perspective area of the country.

Either of those perspectives may be completely close-minded wrong thinking as it of may Overlook individual athletes and what an individual athlete can bring. Regardless of where they are from.
( or their parents)

Those are fair arguments. I would just think it would be easier to build the nucleus of your team with players that are within 3-4 hours of your school in places like California, Florida, Texas and other softball hotbeds. You have the ability to evaluate those players more often and get them to your camps easier. Then you could add some girls from a national level that fit your culture and skill level. Not to mention you could generate some interest in your program by having local girls star at your school.

Just doesn’t seem to happen as much as I thought for a number of reasons. The connections certain coaches have with certain areas and organizations. And the possibility of not wanting to deal with families as one coach stated. Guess that is is for each coach to decide and they will be judged on the results. If you win no one will care where the girls are from.

May 13, 2023
Those are fair arguments. I would just think it would be easier to build the nucleus of your team with players that are within 3-4 hours of your school in places like California, Florida, Texas and other softball hotbeds. You have the ability to evaluate those players more often and get them to your camps easier. Then you could add some girls from a national level that fit your culture and skill level. Not to mention you could generate some interest in your program by having local girls star at your school.

Just doesn’t seem to happen as much as I thought for a number of reasons. The connections certain coaches have with certain areas and organizations. And the possibility of not wanting to deal with families as one coach stated. Guess that is is for each coach to decide and they will be judged on the results. If you win no one will care where the girls are from.

That would make sense to recruit more locally if and that's a big giant if they put in actual recruitment time following the player.

Will add that a couple of the California colleges rolling hard mentioned I have been astonished at the lack of communication / Poker Face about recruiting. Specifically lack of feedback at camps. When good players are leaving camps with an underwhelmed impression. That is saying something.

This opinion I have...
There are some long-term coaches that have stuck to old ways of recruiting. That may have taken themselves out of the better recruiting pool strategies of today situation with players. Continuing to have a dry poker face is not an expression of 'we are interested in you.'
Where in the past there weren't so many other options that players are seeing today. Today, players are looking for a program that is excited to see their interest as a player.
Players of today are looking to mean something, feel good feeling thing, they want that connection from a coach that is showing some enthusiasm about them as a person. That is what I think is drawing players to other colleges. Then the dry poker face in the local community they live. That used to get all those Top Notch local players those players are seeing more enthusiastic opportunity elsewhere. With fancier facilities. And in my opinion some nicer campuses.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022
Does anyone remember being a 17 or 18yr old with their future in front of them and the chance to live AWAY from your parents? These women have a chance to play in a great program at a school with great curb appeal and experience college life. Why wouldn't they go to college out of state instead of living close to home, so it felt like an extension of high school? Many are being recruited because of their strong mental and physical skills.

The only reason I would think SoCal would have better talent is the fact many of the schools mentioned are state schools, so it would be more affordable. But then they are likely attending more locally as they are not getting offered incentives to play out of state, which likely means you have the better talent recruited out of state.

Jul 18, 2022
Forgot to add, I know a currently highly recruited class of 2025 pitcher. She did go tour SDSU but was not impressed with their facilities. Definite curb appeal turn-off. And yes @RADcatcher, the Pokerface appears to be a turn-off as having a coach's enthusiasm makes the player and the parents special.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles