College and majors to stay away from??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
My DD was told early on at a camp for P5 program that nursing, engineering, and architecture would not be possible with the demands of a P5 program.

That’s odd because my DD and three teammates graduated with engineering degrees from a P5 program. Some degrees take more planning, but virtually any major is possible at any division if the student is willing to put in the work.

You can review some P5 majors here…

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
Ever notice that when an athlete gets a degree in engineering or nursing. People will come out of the woodwork to say “see it’s doable”. Yes it’s doable. For the rare few who have everything going just right for themselves. Meanwhile a majority are either pushed toward easier majors or quit ball.

It’s not all that rare for girls to major in engineering or other demanding majors. The list below I posted earlier is just one conference. There’s several engineering and even a pre-med. Many of the majors listed are talked about as too demanding for a P5 softball player yet here’s dozens not only doing those majors they’re making academic all conference. There’s several stars here too, they’re not all just bench warmers.

A few years ago Augustana SD won the D2 national championship with a team loaded with nursing majors.

DD’s school underwent three coaching changes while she was there and they all put academics ahead of softball. I’m sure some girls are steered toward easy majors, but I think it’s the exception rather than the rule.

May 27, 2013
Examples? Or keeping it vague on purpose?
Asking because the thread is what majors to stay away from.

Keeping it vague as rates of unemployment in different fields can vary every few years, even year to year. I’m sure you can do a search on your own and figure it out. It’s not a term that I made up on my own.

Jul 11, 2023
If you really want to go down a rabbit hole, any degree could be dead-end if you are bad at writing your resume.

I used to think the opposite when more humans were still reading resumes. HR people are pretty "dumb" in a sense because they really necessarily understand the job they are hiring for. But may be the initial gate keeper to a hiring manager. Just having a degree checked the box in the 5 seconds they give your resume. Not enough time to really digest what it is. Now we have these convoluted AI systems that try to do that for you. Many good candidates get tossed aside because we don't self promote well.

And that's why networking is so important. You can skip the nonsense of blindly applying places. Plus you have better chance of knowing which of these unicorn skills are needed, because at least in my world, there aren't many, if any humans on the planet with every skill under the sun at a mastery level that wants to be paid $50K. LOLOLOL

Oct 26, 2019
Keeping it vague as rates of unemployment in different fields can vary every few years, even year to year. I’m sure you can do a search on your own and figure it out. It’s not a term that I made up on my own.
I’ll take a stab at a few:
Dance
Photogrsphy
Music
Drama/Theatre
Art

Unless you want to teach one of the above subjects, there is little a college will do to help you get into those areas after college. People hiring those professions care very little about the degree and only on the quality of work you can produce. It would be like majoring in softball. You better have a backup plan in case you aren’t as good as you think.

May 27, 2013
Asked you the question beWse you said there are dead end degrees. I'm not hearing anybody who's looking at College talking about what might be a dead end degree. So I asked you. Glad you explained that vague answer further.
Things change. Yep.
. Since you brought it up thought you might have had one in mind that was currently relevant to your dead end degree topic.

Agree with @Nuwin.
Would say any degree has individual application and results.

I can’t help it if you don’t like or agree with my answers.

Again, quick Google search will provide you with what you’re looking for and then you can post the answer to your own question if you feel it’s that important.

Jul 11, 2023
I’ll take a stab at a few:
Dance
Photogrsphy
Music
Drama/Theatre
Art

Unless you want to teach one of the above subjects, there is little a college will do to help you get into those areas after college. People hiring those professions care very little about the degree and only on the quality of work you can produce. It would be like majoring in softball. You better have a backup plan in case you aren’t as good as you think.
I will only caution that the end game may not simply be that expensive piece of paper. Being around people with those same passions is networking.

What never gets discussed is fulfillment. My degree isn't going to show up on anyone's dead-end list. Yet I'm unfulfilled. Only thing I think I did right was not acquire debt to get it. Not everyone wants fancy cars or big houses. If someone is content to live within the means of what the market will bear for something, the problem lies with the person passing judgement.

May 27, 2013
What never gets discussed is fulfillment. My degree isn't going to show up on anyone's dead-end list. Yet I'm unfulfilled.

I would consider a degree that leaves one unfulfilled as a dead-end degree - at least on a personal level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06