College and majors to stay away from??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2021
SC
our neighbor did the nursing program. she got her degree in 5 years, with the extra year being the more demanding classes and internships. She is now graduated and doing her clinical work to get into PA school. i can be done, maybe just not in the time frame as traditional students.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
She MAY play ball for four more years, she will have a career for another 40+. She should truly sit down and think about what she wants to do. I understand the desire to play college ball but I do not understand sacrificing a potential career field you love to do it.

Bottom, she should take some time and really think about it. Develop plan. Create a list of schools that she is interested in and that excel in her degree field. Then factor in softball. Choose a school for the education, not the softball.

NOTE: I am not saying that these things are mutually exclusive.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Starting to look for a college for our daughter. Is there any majors that she should think twice about and playing softball? My wife is an RN and played volleyball and it was very difficult to keep up with clinical and all playing. Our daughter is typical and not sure what she wants to do. Looked into some medical things but is not sure if she could keep up or is that something that is not a good idea?
I feel like you are looking at this from the wrong direction. If sports won’t fit with the field of study she wants to pursue. It’s the sports part that should be changed. Not the degree.

Softball for 99% of college players ends in college. There is little opportunity after college for a career in softball. If she is interested in some “medical things” then softball might not be something she does in college. Or like my dd maybe club ball is a better fit with her schooling.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
I’m guessing communication arts would be perfect unless there is a major in Underwater Basket Weaving. All about priorities.

What happens if she gets on the team and that doesn’t work out?

Sep 28, 2021
I feel like you are looking at this from the wrong direction. If sports won’t fit with the field of study she wants to pursue. It’s the sports part that should be changed. Not the degree.

Softball for 99% of college players ends in college. There is little opportunity after college for a career in softball. If she is interested in some “medical things” then softball might not be something she does in college. Or like my dd maybe club ball is a better fit with her schooling.
not at all. I know that certain things will be demanding. Not being through the process myself Im not sure what "can" be done and still play softball. Looking for things to stay away from. If she is dead set on a major, there is no way I, or she would let it get between that.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
It truly depends on the individual school, program and coaches. Some are fine with coming to practice late due to labs/clinicals and some professors are fine with making work up if you have to miss a class or lab. However, there are also coaches and professors who are not fine with this so it’s better to do the research early in the process to find out.

I suggest looking at the majors of the current players on the rosters and that would help to know if her desired major would be ok while playing ball.
Is it a bad sign when nobody mentions their major in their Bio?

May 20, 2016
First thing that should be taken into consideration is your DD's major. Softball is a silly game that comes to an end for 99.999% of all players at the end of college.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
not at all. I know that certain things will be demanding. Not being through the process myself Im not sure what "can" be done and still play softball. Looking for things to stay away from. If she is dead set on a major, there is no way I, or she would let it get between that.
Ever notice that when an athlete gets a degree in engineering or nursing. People will come out of the woodwork to say “see it’s doable”. Yes it’s doable. For the rare few who have everything going just right for themselves. Meanwhile a majority are either pushed toward easier majors or quit ball.

Sep 28, 2021
Ever notice that when an athlete gets a degree in engineering or nursing. People will come out of the woodwork to say “see it’s doable”. Yes it’s doable. For the rare few who have everything going just right for themselves. Meanwhile a majority are either pushed toward easier majors or quit ball.
I know that when my wife was in college, they said never again would a nursing major be allowed to play volleyball. It was stressful for her, but she got through it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles