Club team playing time. Win every game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
Mudbug,
Most good teams would rather lose to a better team, than beat a weaker team anyday. Winning against much weaker teams does nothing for you, it actually hurts you.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

By putting your two posts together I understand what you are saying. No argument. Except for the word meaningless, they all mean something. If your entering a tournament against better and older teams MEANING to improve regardless of the outcome than I would say those are very meaningful tournaments. No need to get into semantics as I do know what you are saying, but it could be taken the wrong way by some.

Thanks,
Mike

Mar 22, 2010
There was a team in our area that I knew well (top 1 or 2 12A in the state) that played every game to win, rotated 2 pitchers and 2 catchers, but basically played the same 6 kids in the infield, at league, pool, elimination whatever and rotated the other 6 kids through the outfield. I think they had the right 6 identified as "better" so this wasn't favoritism, but a philosophy (i.e. win every game, win at all costs). They ended up cancelling their plans for nationals because 3 of the 6 non infielders parents basically said they weren't willing to travel out of state to watch their kid sit the bench. So the coaches made the decisions they felt they had to to win games, but they failed to create a team. The reality is that every year 3 to 6 kids going to nationals on every team know that they are probably going to see limited playing time, but if the coaches make a good faith effort to develop everyone on the team throughout the year, the players become invested in their roles and willing to make that sacrifice for the team.

My daughters travel team was like that for the past 3 years. At the beginning of this year we had had enough. We told them we weren't willing to invest time and money for our daughter to rotate sitting the bench or playing right field. Within 3 weeks another coach, who had been an assistant coach, took over and asked us to come back and give it another try. This new coach has no children or grandchildren on this team. He is there because he loves softball and we are so lucky to have him because he is very highly regarded when it comes to coaching softball. Since coming back my daughter has absolutely blossomed. She has been given the chance to play 2nd in pool and tournament games and nothing has gotten by her. I have been amazed at how much she has advanced this year. And she has also played right field a few times as well and I was beyond thrilled when she made an awsome out from right field by catching a pop-fly. So my point is that yes you have to give all of them a chance. And they might just surprise you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan