Christmas is coming soon - I want a GoPro - questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Okay another question...get the latest version or is the 3+ better than the 4? There are so many versions (to me). We are not expert photographers so we need a user friendly version that does the job (long game videos, capture still pictures from video, slow speed for mechanic analysis, capture sections for skills videos, etc). Seems that there are more pros to the 3+ but that the battery packs for 4 are not compatible for the 3, and so on so forth. Oh and the LCD screen...important yes? No? Battery drainer?

Thanks!

For existing owners of GoPro (those that already have the external equipment for the Hero 3), I would suggest sticking with the Hero 3+ black. For anyone who is just getting started with GoPro, I would suggest the Hero 4 Silver. If you want the extra video quality and don't mind spending a few hundred more, I would go with the Black and buy the extra LCD back. In my opinion, the LCD screen is a must. Yes, you can control the camera with your phone. But it seems like every tournament we go to (especially if we go the distance), my phone is dead long before time to go home. The LCD back helps you setup and ensure you are getting the shot that you want.

What I like about the the 4 Silver is the following:
1.) Included LCD screen. The LCD can drain the battery, but you can turn it off after setup. Also, if you use an external battery, battery life is no longer an issue.
2.) Still has access to the GoPro auxiliary port in the back. This will allow future battery charging options.

Since the battery eliminator is not available yet for the Hero 4, make sure that you at least get the Skeleton case or the "Frame" case. Both of these have cutaways to allow you to plug in a USB connection and charge the camera while running. This allows the use of the external battery.

Hope this help.

Jan 24, 2009
Josh has excellent recommendations re the setup. I am glad I followed his advice when purchasing early this year.

The LynkSpyder he sells is excellent quality and very handy for complete games--'set it and forget it'. Comes in handy since the gopro has no zoom. Bring your other hi-def video cam with zoom for some hands-on spot shooting.

VW

May 10, 2013
USA
Hey Josh, we have been using your LynkSpyder setup since August, the GoPro Hero 3+ black. We used it for single games, double headers, and two weeks ago a 4 game day. The only problems we had was the IPhone battery dying as well, and not wanting to cut my GoPro for LCD back with external battery we bought this at Walmart:

Pocket Juice 1500mAh Rechargeable Power Bank - Walmart.com

It worked great, the battery on my Iphone died a little into game 2 on the 4 dayer, plugged it into this pocket juice battery charger, and after game 4 I still had 100% left on the Iphone.

For the original poster here is the GoPro Hero 3+ Black with the quality turned up a little:
Lady Pioneers 9u vs Ohio Hawks - YouTube

And Josh I have gotten so many comments on my setup, not sure I sent any business your way but I have given the info out quite a lot.

Dec 11, 2010
Josh Greer, does it seem like there will be a good solution to the external battery situation with the Gopro 4 Silver in the reasonably near future?

I have only had it for a few days but it does seem like heat will be an issue if it has to charge the battery continuously. Wondering if I should have tried harder to find a Hero3 Black.

Last edited:

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Josh Greer, does it seem like there will be a good solution to the external battery situation with the Gopro 4 Silver in the reasonably near future?

I have only had it for a few days but it does seem like heat will be an issue if it has to charge the battery continuously. Wondering if I should have tried harder to find a Hero3 Black.

I responded to to your PM as well, but thought I would post here in case others find it useful:

I certainly don't think the 4 Silver is a bad option at all. My only complaint is the new battery location that GoPro chose to go with on all of the Hero 4 cameras. If you are new to GoPro's I think the 4 Silver is perhaps the best option. I would, however, suggest getting the skeleton case so you have access to the USB port while shooting. This allows you to use an external battery which will be required to shoot multiple full games in a single day. Check out our equipment page for suggested batteries:
http://www.lynkspyder.com/equipment.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom