Christmas is coming soon - I want a GoPro - questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Can the GoPro be used to capture quality videos for skills presentation?

Is the software easy to use to clip and piece together a quality video?

Can still pictures be captured from frame by frame of video?

How long does video run? At what settings? Have read that certain settings make battery run low fast. Do you need purchase additional memory?

I am not an expert AT ALL, so I wonder if it's worth it from a newbie perspective. :) And I don't know if I am asking right questions either.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
We currently use a Hero 3 to capture games. Great Quality!!! You may need to use a different setting. We use a panoramic to get all the field.

You can by different size cards to store the images/video, (Currently use a 64gb, gets about 6 hours of video-- I have two)

I use imovie to edit if needed

The battery sucks we use an independent charger and connect it to the gopro for games.

We use the Linkspyder bracket to attach it to the back of the backstop.

I then compress the video using Handbrake and upload to Youtube. Not much editing. Sometimes just a little at the end or beginning I will just use the Youtube editor.

Not hard to setup and use, we use our phone to turn it on, preview the setup and to hit the record button.

We are having a bit of a problem with the Wi-fi on the camera to control it from the phone. I have to figure that one out ASAP

We are also wanting to get to the point of using it to do live feeds, but haven't quite figured that out so it doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

Merrill Danner

Relax and breathe!
Sep 26, 2012
74441 - Oklahoma
W got the Hero +3 black.

I use if for practices and record games, it allows me to see things i cant see with my eyes. on the low quality video setting you can record at 240 frames a second letting me see things i cant otherwise.
Great tool for troubleshooting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00vCmo5pWkE&list=UUIrg0BJXmTh4Bu2e4FV-Wpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00vCmo5pWkE&list=UUIrg0BJXmTh4Bu2e4FV-Wpw

i think i slowed this one to 10% it can be painfully slow to watch to a great tool.

it has burst mode pics, can do 30 images a second, it is nice trying to get that just right shot

here is one

G0039478.jpg
G0019407a.jpg
I use a kindle fire in which i sideloaded the gopro app, lets me preview what i am going to record.
For games, i can record in 1080p, i mount the camera to a upright on the backstop and let it go until the end of the game., i can get about 2 games from a charge on the camera and the backpack battery.
the camera will reord until you run out of disc space or that battery goes dead.
Yes better resolution and higher frame rate equals faster battery consumption.

The go pro editing app is pretty good and easy to learn and use. I think it is great since it is free.

I have set it up also to do time lapse, using 1 image every .5 second for an entire game, captured around 9000 12mp images of the game, it was great, was able to capture every player at the plate and never did anything more than set it up and turn in on.

I think as a tool it is very useful, my eyes getting older tends to miss things when dd is pitching and hitting, remember it can be paifully slow.
here is one the is 100%, 50% and 25% htting tcb balls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9vYwkNd18U&list=UUIrg0BJXmTh4Bu2e4FV-Wpw

and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00vCmo5pWkE&index=25&list=UUIrg0BJXmTh4Bu2e4FV-Wpw

and here is a full video of a game where the camera is attached to backstop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBH7xvIALrM

and the obligatory and self gratifying video of dd doing something other than fastpitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcXYg4t_wEg

would i buy another yes.

and it is fun in the water too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVp97XNC_ZA

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
I tend to reject most anything deemed 'trendy', but the GoPro is the real deal. I've got the Hero3+ black also and it's performed flawlessly for me.

I haven't ever tried using the GoPro Studio editing software, so I can't say anything about its capabilities and ease-of-use, but the quality of the still images you can capture will be determined by the recording size/quality and also the frame rate.

You'll get about 3 games on a 64gb card, but you'll need to get an external battery to allow all-day recording.

I also strongly recommend the Lynkspyder.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
All,

Here is some information we are passing on to our customers regarding the various GoPro models:

1.) All models, including the new Hero 4 cameras are compatible with our base LynkSpyder bracket
2.) For baseball and softball, we are recommending the Hero 4 Silver due to the great quality and the included LCD back screen.
3.) The battery eliminator that we have recommended for all Hero 3 cameras is NOT compatible with the Hero 4 due to a new battery compartment design. Switronix is working on a new eliminator design, but will probably use the GoPro auxiliary port. These means that adding a BacPac (either the LCD or battery) will not be an option. If this is an issue, we suggest staying with the Hero 3+ Black.
4.) We still are suggesting the use of the EasyAcc Ultra 16000 external battery. While the battery eliminator will not be an option for the Hero 4 cameras, live running via USB charging port still appears to allow long recording times.

Lastly, while we have not yet tested this, LiveStream has recently added the ability to live stream GoPro video through the GoPro wireless interface and a smartphone data plan.

Hope this helps.

GreerSetup2014s.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
All,

Here is some information we are passing on to our customers regarding the various GoPro models:

1.) All models, including the new Hero 4 cameras are compatible with our base LynkSpyder bracket
2.) For baseball and softball, we are recommending the Hero 4 Silver due to the great quality and the included LCD back screen.
3.) The battery eliminator that we have recommended for all Hero 3 cameras is NOT compatible with the Hero 4 due to a new battery compartment design. Switronix is working on a new eliminator design, but will probably use the GoPro auxiliary port. These means that adding a BacPac (either the LCD or battery) will not be an option. If this is an issue, we suggest staying with the Hero 3+ Black.
4.) We still are suggesting the use of the EasyAcc Ultra 16000 external battery. While the battery eliminator will not be an option for the Hero 4 cameras, live running via USB charging port still appears to allow long recording times.

Lastly, while we have not yet tested this, LiveStream has recently added the ability to live stream GoPro video through the GoPro wireless interface and a smartphone data plan.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 6843

Thats the battery back we use that is in the picture.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Okay another question...get the latest version or is the 3+ better than the 4? There are so many versions (to me). We are not expert photographers so we need a user friendly version that does the job (long game videos, capture still pictures from video, slow speed for mechanic analysis, capture sections for skills videos, etc). Seems that there are more pros to the 3+ but that the battery packs for 4 are not compatible for the 3, and so on so forth. Oh and the LCD screen...important yes? No? Battery drainer?

Thanks!

Apr 25, 2014
I have a gopro 4 silver and it currently is not compatable with the livestream app. they say they are working on an update (no timetable) I have not used mine yet. the lynkspyder mount is a MUST

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Okay another question...get the latest version or is the 3+ better than the 4? There are so many versions (to me). We are not expert photographers so we need a user friendly version that does the job (long game videos, capture still pictures from video, slow speed for mechanic analysis, capture sections for skills videos, etc). Seems that there are more pros to the 3+ but that the battery packs for 4 are not compatible for the 3, and so on so forth. Oh and the LCD screen...important yes? No? Battery drainer?

Thanks!

I am also looking to get a GoPro for DH. Is the LCD backscreen a must? I keep going back and forth between the 3+ and the Hero4 mostly because of the LCD screen...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom