Catchers / Pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
The two most physically demanding positions on the field? Maybe the same reason you put in pinch runners for your pitchers and catchers?

Jan 15, 2009
Becauses it's hard to race from the mound, get the gear on and get behind the plate before the pitch you just threw gets to the catcher. :)

As a back up pitcher, I don't see an issue, but if your really pursuing being a #1 pitcher I would think that on your games off your coaches would like to see you somewhere less physically taxing than catcher. So if a typical bracket is going to be pitch, catch, pitch, catch, pitch that's physically a lot to ask of a player not sure that you could expect 100% as the tournament progresses. I understand there is a pretty good chance the pitcher or catcher is probably the #1 athlete on the team and the temptation is to get the most out of that kid at all times, but this is a team sport and IMO you shouldn't put that much on one player.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
ok, let me clarify - not in the same game.. I don't like Pitchers playing 3B (fear for her!), middles - too much legs and I don't like her legs tired, or OF, same rationale as middles. 1B is the ONLY position I like if pitching or potentially pitching in a game.

** I'm talking about she can catch a game, and NOT going to pitcher in this game... or she pitches a game, not scheduled to catch in this game.....

** That said, I do agree, especially at at higher levels. We have a terrific kid who is one of our catchers and wants to get back into pitching.... as a coach, I would never say ANYONE can't do ANYTHING they want, but the work and commitment MUST be there if she wants to be successful and at 16U, we're discussing the difficulty of working on her catchers skills at the same time she has to commit her efforts to pitching.

Appreciate the input, may help her to make a decision for what her long term goals are.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Getting spread too thin

Based on the physical and mental effort required, I think these are the only 2 positions that are mutally exclusive - particularly in the same day. It might be fun and fine at a younger age/lower level of ball, but I don't see how she'd have time to try to master both if she has aspirations to play at a higher level. At 16U its good to know that she could pitch in an emergency situation or a blow out to save another's arm, but I don't think she'd be able to achieve her potential at either position if she tries to do both. Also, I think she might find it frustrating to compete against or compare herself to those concentrating on just C or P. Its likely time to pick one unless she's happy being a utility player and not planning to play beyond U16.

GM:D

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Based on the physical and mental effort required, I think these are the only 2 positions that are mutally exclusive - particularly in the same day. It might be fun and fine at a younger age/lower level of ball, but I don't see how she'd have time to try to master both if she has aspirations to play at a higher level. At 16U its good to know that she could pitch in an emergency situation or a blow out to save another's arm, but I don't think she'd be able to achieve her potential at either position if she tries to do both. Also, I think she might find it frustrating to compete against or compare herself to those concentrating on just C or P. Its likely time to pick one unless she's happy being a utility player and not planning to play beyond U16.

GM:D

Agree, very much so. Thank you. I'm confident that the posts should help support our discussion with our catcher. Thank you.

Dec 15, 2009
I am a pitcher and a catcher. I play 14& under, 18& under, fall ball, tournament ball, and high school ball. i have or know that i will be pitching in all leagues. It is very demanding to play both of the most demanding positions. In tournament ball I have already played the catching position in one game, pitching in the next, and on and on. But luckily I do get breaks. My coaches seem to understand that it really wears my body out and thinking about it, my playing career will probably be cut in half because of this. But I want to be a utility player. Colleges will want a utility player over one player who only knows one position. I have been blessed and I'm not that bad at the positions I play. I'm dedicated to softball. I play the outfield, 3rd, short stop, second, catcher and pitcher. I learned the positions so I could be on the field more. All I want is to be out on the field with my teammates. So if there are girls out there who are second guessing themselves about whether they want to learn more positions or not, I recommend that they do learn the positions. It will only help you play the game you love better!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy