Catchers helmets

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 26, 2012
A, A
My daughter had a foul tip that she could not react to. The ball only changed it's path slightly and came in to hit here in the small gap between the top of her chest protector and the bottom of her face mask, she was hit in the throat/ upper chest.
The chances of having a ball come at her just this way again is not likely to ever happen, but in case it does I want to minimize the impact. My two thoughts are a different mask ( hockey style) that might have a longer chin or less steep of a angle so it is more parallel to her face or attaching an extra throat guard.
Any suggestions or ideas?

Jan 25, 2011
I know that even with the hockey style mask, that Little League still requires the throat guard. That could be a local rule but might not be.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Does her equipment fit properly? Too many times, catchers wear their chest protector too loose and too big. This allows for a "gap" between the chest protector and helmet and exposes too much of the collar bone area. The chest protector should fit up on the collar bone and like another layer of skin.

A couple of photos of ill fitting chest protectors.
4663664050988fdb9554bdad5cd890b5.jpg

471987be554a9b9fc7685ae580b5c012.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2012
A, A
Does her equipment fit properly? Too many times, catchers wear their chest protector too loose and too big. This allows for a "gap" between the chest protector and helmet and exposes too much of the collar bone area. The chest protector should fit up on the collar bone and like another layer of skin.

One of my pet peeves is to see kids wearing equipment incorrectly or improperly fitted, that can just be dangerous.

I do make my DD wear hers correctly but plan to double check this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan